I'm working on a 4K, 3 mn project and have already done a render of it. I then moved 2 clips and wanted to export the video. However, this time, instead of taking 10-15 mn to render, it tooks almost 2 hours with couples bugs : some clips blink in green or suffer from lagging. I used the same setings for both renders and tried it three times with almost same results. I also note that my CPU and GPU usages are stuck under 50% while they were around 90-100% in the first render.
Why is this happening suddently ? How can I fix this please ?
The clips are from a Panasonic GH6 and a Sony A7iii, both in 4K @ 25fps or 50 fps sometimes. The composition in in 25 fps. I export to H264 MP4 @ 25 MBps (max 40 MBps) using VBR 1 and CUDA.
Computer specs :
- CPU : Ryzen 9 5900X (12c/24t)
- GPU : RTX 3060 12 GB
- RAM : 32 GB DDR4 @ 3600 MHz
- Drive : Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB NVMe PCI-E 4.0 SSD
- OS : Windows 11 (latest)
- Premiere Pro : 2022.2.0.128 (I don't like the new layout after this version so I keep this one)
Thank you !
Try rolling back your graphics driver to the 517.40 Studio driver.
You could try a media cache clear just in case something got borked in there. Peru already mentioned the GPU driver.
Personally I avoid Hardware Encoding when it comes to my final exports because historically it has been more error-prone, prone to render glitches - especially with more complex content and compositing in the timeline. Software Encoding is slower but more reliable, at least for me. But I hate QC'ing at the end of the project so I like to do the most stable and reliable possible export options, which is often to go to a ProRes master first, but at any rate, I save the Hardware Encoding for my review-quality versions.
Thank you @Peru Bob @Phillip Harvey !
I will try to roll back but the limit of 50% on compute resources is quite strange. I use a GPU for rendering to speed it up, quite sad to know it isn't reliable. Is it hte fault of Adobe (via Mercury) or a normal behavior of any GPU architecture ? I didn't have any issue before.
I'll emphasize that the HE thing is in part my opinion and experience as a video editor and not necessarily something that will be shared by others. There are lots of people that I'm sure love and swear by Hardware Encoding and have never hit any issues. As someone who helps out a lot on various forums with support posts, I can tell you that using Software Encoding does tend to solve certain issues with exports, be it errors or glitches.
I'm not quite tech savvy enough to be able to tell you if it's an Adobe implementation thing, but I suspect it's a bit more to do with how the hardware works. Even across other applications like in 3D packages, GPUs tend to be for speed and not necessarily quality. The CPU can output nicer images and calculate more advanced things, but at the expense of time.
Well, I tried Software Engine and delete all my previews as well as unchecking "Use previews" but I still have lags. Green flickering is gone but lags are quite annoying and not professional.
Are the cameras recording to HEVC? It's a pretty challenging video codec to decode and while I don't believe I've heard of hitching making it into the export from those specific cameras, I've seen it happen on a lot on HEVC from DJI cameras, so it seems possible that it could be happening elsewhere. A couple of other things to try - and this is in the spirit of helping you get this project out the door as you may have some more troubleshooting to do if something else is wrong with your system.
If the ProRes master doesn't work then the next thing I would suggest is Smart Rendering, specifically the hybrid version. It sounds a little like you were trying to use video previews so this might only be adding one step to the process that you hadn't done.
Hopefully one of these things helps!