• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Render gets suddently longer

Participant ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm working on a 4K, 3 mn project and have already done a render of it. I then moved 2 clips and wanted to export the video. However, this time, instead of taking 10-15 mn to render, it tooks almost 2 hours with couples bugs : some clips blink in green or suffer from lagging. I used the same setings for both renders and tried it three times with almost same results. I also note that my CPU and GPU usages are stuck under 50% while they were around 90-100% in the first render.

Why is this happening suddently ? How can I fix this please ?

The clips are from a Panasonic GH6 and a Sony A7iii, both in 4K @ 25fps or 50 fps sometimes. The composition in in 25 fps. I export to H264 MP4 @ 25 MBps (max 40 MBps) using VBR 1 and CUDA.

Computer specs :

- CPU : Ryzen 9 5900X (12c/24t)

- GPU : RTX 3060 12 GB

- RAM : 32 GB DDR4 @ 3600 MHz

- Drive : Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB NVMe PCI-E 4.0 SSD

- Premiere Pro : 2022.2.0.128 (I don't like the new layout after this version so I keep this one)

Thank you !

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try rolling back your graphics driver to the 517.40 Studio driver.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try a media cache clear just in case something got borked in there. Peru already mentioned the GPU driver.

Personally I avoid Hardware Encoding when it comes to my final exports because historically it has been more error-prone, prone to render glitches - especially with more complex content and compositing in the timeline. Software Encoding is slower but more reliable, at least for me. But I hate QC'ing at the end of the project so I like to do the most stable and reliable possible export options, which is often to go to a ProRes master first, but at any rate, I save the Hardware Encoding for my review-quality versions.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Peru Bob @Phillip Harvey !

I will try to roll back but the limit of 50% on compute resources is quite strange. I use a GPU for rendering to speed it up, quite sad to know it isn't reliable. Is it hte fault of Adobe (via Mercury) or a normal behavior of any GPU architecture ? I didn't have any issue before.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll emphasize that the HE thing is in part my opinion and experience as a video editor and not necessarily something that will be shared by others. There are lots of people that I'm sure love and swear by Hardware Encoding and have never hit any issues. As someone who helps out a lot on various forums with support posts, I can tell you that using Software Encoding does tend to solve certain issues with exports, be it errors or glitches.

I'm not quite tech savvy enough to be able to tell you if it's an Adobe implementation thing, but I suspect it's a bit more to do with how the hardware works. Even across other applications like in 3D packages, GPUs tend to be for speed and not necessarily quality. The CPU can output nicer images and calculate more advanced things, but at the expense of time. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I tried Software Engine and delete all my previews as well as unchecking "Use previews" but I still have lags. Green flickering is gone but lags are quite annoying and not professional.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are the cameras recording to HEVC? It's a pretty challenging video codec to decode and while I don't believe I've heard of hitching making it into the export from those specific cameras, I've seen it happen on a lot on HEVC from DJI cameras, so it seems possible that it could be happening elsewhere. A couple of other things to try - and this is in the spirit of helping you get this project out the door as you may have some more troubleshooting to do if something else is wrong with your system.

• Just in case you didn't clear cache for all projects, be sure to do that: Clear Cache.
  • Try exporting to a high quality master like Quicktime ProRes 422
    • Your source media is an incredibly complex codec, and you're exporting to a complex codec. Exporting to something easier for the computer to process where frames are rendered individually and not temporally compressed (compression over time) is one way to help take some pressure off. It's better when the source is also easier to process, but it's still good to help here.

If the ProRes master doesn't work then the next thing I would suggest is Smart Rendering, specifically the hybrid version. It sounds a little like you were trying to use video previews so this might only be adding one step to the process that you hadn't done.

• Set your video previews to something high quality that supports smart rendering like Quicktime ProRes 422
  • Render your timeline
  • When you export
    • Check box for Use Previews
    • Check box at the top for Match Sequence Settings (this has moved to the presets menu with the UI update but you said you're in an older version.)

Hopefully one of these things helps!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines