• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replacing previously edited footage,? (no proxies or working file)

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently taking over a big project with a few videos that need to be re-edited. Unfortanately, I won't be able to get a hard drive shipped with the original footage on it for another few weeks (but the deadline is around that time it would get delivered). The editor I replaced put all the footage into one organized sequence (eg. all_interviews, all_b-roll) that is hosted online to view/download (720p). The only thing I can do at the moment is downloaded the low res clip, and apply Scene Edit Detection in each sequence to pull individual clips, but it's only 720p. We are currently working with a storyboard with time stamps based on those sequences that are hosted online.

This is where it gets even trickier...

The videos were edited in Final Cut Pro and there are no proxies. I don't use FCP so won't have any access to the media through Premiere (could be wrong)

I am currently working with scene-detected footage, but I will most likely need to replace the footage with the originals once they arrive.

Is there a more efficient way to replace the scene-detected media with the original media once it comes in? 

Thank you in advance!

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

if you have access to the fcp project, you may be able to get the edits into premiere, but it's not simple.  I was able to make this work a few years ago and if I remember correctly, you'll need to export an xml file from fcp.  Unfortunately that xml file will not import into premiere but... it will import into DaVinci Resolve and you can then export an xml from Resolve that will open in premiere...  No promises, but worth a shot...  Pretty sure there's a free trial of fcpX and this workflow will probably work with the free version of Resolve.  This was at least 4 years ago and god knows if it will still work.

And if this doesn't help, you might find the gang function in premiere useful.  If you can identify the full rez source file for a clip in your edit, you try and find a frame that matches to a clip in your sequence sequence.  Gang the source and program monitor and go back and forth for a bit to make sure they stay in synch...  Mark the clip in your sequence, go to in which also repositions the full rez clip in the source monitor and mark the in...  rinse and repeat.  Used this back in the day when stock footage would come in initially on vhs tapes with a timecode window.  when you ordered the full rez material, the timecode on the full rez material would have no relationship to the timecode on the vhs source tapes...  Not simple but it does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines