• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reveal in Finder not working

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received a drive from another Editor with a Premiere project and fairly massive amount of media (11.5TB). I’m unable to right click and “Reveal in Finder” on any of the media within that project. It’ll take me to the correct hard drive, but somewhere arbitrary on that drive. The project was created in CC2019, but this also happens when I open it in CC2020. I’ve tried creating a new project and importing the old project. I’ve tried deleting the cache and I’ve also forced spotlight to reindex the drive.

No other Premiere projects on my system are exhibiting this, so I don’t believe there’s anything wrong with either versions of CC2019 or CC2020 that I have installed. If I search for each file by name, Finder is able to locate the file on the drive, so I don’t believe the Hard Drive or Operating System are the issue.

Anyone have any similar experiences or workarounds?

——

macOS Catalina 10.15.6
3.2 GHz 16 Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | 224 GB RAM
AMD Radeon Pro W5700X | AMD Radeon VII

Premiere 14.5.0 & Premier 13.1.5

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

happens to me all the time in windows.  rarely if at all on the mac.   If you get the properties for the clip, does it show the full path for the file?   Wondering if there could be an issue with the formatting on the drive.  Is it something other than macosextended?  Maybe it would be a good idea to run disk first aid on the drive and drive warrior if you have it.  Another thought, I had a very complicated documentary project that had been started at least 10 years before in finalcutpro.  Whenever I had a crash, fcp7 would lose the connection to most of the media and it was a royal pain manually reconnecting (but I did get really good at it).  The problem turned out to be that there were folders within folders within folders within folders and I suspect that there is actually a limit to the number of characters in a file path.  Anyway, I bit the bullet and reorganized the drive and the problem went away.    Just found this from googling.  https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250275651

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i found a solution here

tl;dr: enter this command in terminal:

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 13, 2023 May 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't seem to do anything for the problem.  Also on a massive project.  36TB.  This is with OSXVentura, v.23.0.  Still goes to an stray folder on the drive.  Meanwhile, when I pull up the properties of a piece of media within Premiere it'll show a path, just the wrong one.  Like, "Hardrive/wrongfolder/wrongfolder/Hardrive/correctfolder/correctfolder/xyz.mov"

Not sure how Prmeiere can manage to connect and load the media perfectly if the project's data is sseemingly pointing to an incorrect path, but it's doing it somehow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pathh 88 Productions,   What mac model are you working on?   Is your computer and intel or m1/2?  

have you tried running disk utility:  disk repair from the finder?  certainly worth a shot.  Do you have any non-standard characters like *. ?,  in either file or folder names?  These can cause all sorts of unpredictable and inconsistent issues

https://www.mtu.edu/umc/services/websites/writing/characters-avoid/

How is your media drive formatted?   

And you might consider moving to the productions workflow.  Comes highly recommended for large complex projects.  

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/storage-best-practices-productions.html

I'm providing support for an even larger project, and haven't noticed this behavior, but this is on an intel imacpro of relatively recent vintage.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

27" iMmac Late 2017. Mac OS Extended drive.

So my attempt to get this working was:

1. Unlink all media, including the proxies.
  2. Saved the project
  3. Quit Premiere. 
  4. From there I renamed the one particular folder Premiere mistakenly kept pointing to for all my media. 
  5. Then I shut down the computer. 
  6. After a reboot I again ran the terminal command listed above. 
  7. Then rebooted again. 
  8. Launced the project in Premiere.
  9. Reconnected all my media.
  10. Paths are now correct and aligned.  Doing a "reveal in finder" now works.

FWIW, I cannot run a "Productions" editing workflow although I very much would like to.  We have remote editors on this assignment and we're using a "Team Project" instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for tracking down a solution. This solution worked for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines