• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reverse the order of clips in a sequence?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a mistake and dropped a bin folder directly into the sequence instead of selected all the clips inside the folder.  I began pulling my selects and about 3 hours in I noticed the clips were ordered from last shot to first shot.   Clip E, clip D, clip C, clip B, clip A. for example.

I spent several hours pulling selects but the footage is not in the correct order. is there a way to select all the clips and reverse the order they are in?  So they will be clip A, clip B, Clip C, and so on.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

It´s actually easier and definitely less time consuming to delete all clips from the timeline and use the Name tab in the Project panel to sort the clips A, B, C, D etc and then select the clips in the Project panel and drop them on the timeline. By doing this you clips will be placed/arranged correctly. You can select all clips in one go by selecting the first clip, press and hold down Shift, select the last clip.

Make sure that you are dragging the clips and not the actual bin and of cource th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

The way clips are dropped in the timeline (if you are in Icon mode) is determined by the order they are selected in the Project panel.

So if you select from top to bottom will give you a different order then selecting from bottom to top in the PW.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

This was spot on for me. I would just add that some users might need to first change the view to 'list view' at the bottom of the project panel before they can see the name column. Then click name until the arrow pointing upwards appears (^) you can click this again to reverse the order. Then as Bray said, drag to timeline. 

Hugely helpful Bray - thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If no one has figured it out..It can be done, but on import, and in List Mode (not Icon Mode, the default view), reverse the order just click the little arrow toggling ascend/descend next to "title" at the top, what ever the order is within the import dialog box is how it'll be imported into the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way clips are dropped in the timeline (if you are in Icon mode) is determined by the order they are selected in the Project panel.

So if you select from top to bottom will give you a different order then selecting from bottom to top in the PW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey friends,

There's actually a very simple way to do this. Direct your attention to your project panel where you keep all of your media. Right above all of your clips will be "Name" with a little arrow pointing down. Just click this arrow so it toggles up, and everything will be sorted in the reverse order. Then you can drag all the media into your timeline and the new order will be preserved there as well. I hope this helps. 

Cheers,

Bray

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was spot on for me. I would just add that some users might need to first change the view to 'list view' at the bottom of the project panel before they can see the name column. Then click name until the arrow pointing upwards appears (^) you can click this again to reverse the order. Then as Bray said, drag to timeline. 

Hugely helpful Bray - thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WORKED THANK YOU! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start highlighting (selecting) from the first clip you want, not the last one. That's how Premiere Pro works (at least it just did for me - v23.1).

Mod note: Edited for content. Kindly abide by Adobe Community Guidelines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For years this pronlem has plagued me. I just never got around to seeing this solution. I bring in photographs from Exploerer, and photoshop and Bridge and it has always been finger in the wind, guess, and God . Now solved

Mod note: Edited for content. Please abide by Adobe Community Guidelines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It´s actually easier and definitely less time consuming to delete all clips from the timeline and use the Name tab in the Project panel to sort the clips A, B, C, D etc and then select the clips in the Project panel and drop them on the timeline. By doing this you clips will be placed/arranged correctly. You can select all clips in one go by selecting the first clip, press and hold down Shift, select the last clip.

Make sure that you are dragging the clips and not the actual bin and of cource that they are sorted the right way. Sort the clips from either A-Z or Z-A by clicking on the Name tab in the Project panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2024 Jan 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already imported and cut the scene to get the odds away in timeline. Now I need to change the order from D, C, B, A to A, B, C, D in the timeline itself. Any way for this? In Photohsop's timeline it was just smooth as butter but in Premier, I don't know how. I'm a complete newbie in Premier actually. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

See my technique at the bottom of the comments...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I left this comment a year ago but it seems to have been deleted but i stand by it... 

"Ok I found a janky hack to solve this. So, you can drag clips FROM the timeline TO the project bin as well as from the project bin to the timeline.... you might see where I'm going. Create a dummy bin in your project. Highlight the clips you have in the wrong order and drag them into this bin. Hey presto, they are added to the bin in your edit order. Now as Premiere allows you to drag from the project bin to the timeline in the order you select your footage, simply highlight the clip you want to be at the beginning of the edit (currently your last clip) and Shift + Up key to select all the clips (I discovered that Shift and click to 'select all' doesn't work - the fact you 'click' selects them in the wrong order!). Then drag your highlighted clips back onto your timeline and you have reveresed the order! The only hitch is that it brings all the audio from the whole video file, not just your edited section but this is fairly simply to delete all audio and ripple delete the gaps. I know this thread is years old but hopefully this helps someone!? Please feel free to ask questions or see if we can further refine this technique"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines