• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ripple edit blocked on a photo

Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would Ripple Edit (B) not work on a photo? In this screen grab, I am dragigng from the right side of this photo. Note how the size of the photo is unchanged:

ArenCambre_1-1644078520908.png

Strangely, if I use the Selection Tool (V), I can trim the photo's duration. Obviously, that's not good because it leaves a blank space to the right.

There are videos later in the sequence, on the V2 track, and ripple edit works fine with them.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Problem solved.

Immediate solution: lock A2. That track has my background music.

True cause: Earlier, I inadvertently used insert instead of overwrite to place a video a few seconds into my sequence. My background music in A2 was split and second half moved to right to start after inserted video. In my undoing of that error, instead of undoing the split music, I instead managed to keep the split but butted the two A2 clips against each. I made a durable fix by deleting the second part of the aud

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, this is super intuitive. Everything after this video, which immediatelty follows the photos, can be changed with the Ripple Edit tool. Ripple Edit is blocked for this video and everything before it.

ArenCambre_0-1644078954104.png

Is this video super glued to the sequence? Huh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like Premiere might be looking at the audio track, and 'blocking' it due to what if feels are linked audio issues ... perhaps. I get this at times, where the audio isn't even actually linked but Pr seems to think so.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I was starting to wonder that myself. The photos exist only on V2. The videos have video on V2 and audio on A1. The weird thing is the first video does not respond to Ripple Edit, but subsequent videos do?

I note some effect on the audio for the first video. Investigating now...

Sure would be nice if Premiere Pro actually informed me why it's denying Ripple Edits!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro falsely claims that there is osme volume level effect:

ArenCambre_0-1644079920414.png

Nope:

ArenCambre_1-1644079936234.png

Despite this incorrect effect indicator, maybe looking at effects is a red herring, as I guess effects should never block ripple edits?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, in fact, effects were applied under AudioChannel Volume, even though I never applied those effects. 🤷‍:male_sign:

I've expanded all effects in the Effect Controls pane, and I see no effects active and no evidence of keyframes. Despite this, the audio still shows some effect applied. And Ripple Edits still have no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it's the audio track presence ... this tutorial which @Ann Bens just linked to in another thread goes over the whole track work thing quite well. Track locking, ripple work, patching, targeting ... and the sync lock.

You can use either track locking or track sync lock/unlock for such things.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Problem solved.

Immediate solution: lock A2. That track has my background music.

True cause: Earlier, I inadvertently used insert instead of overwrite to place a video a few seconds into my sequence. My background music in A2 was split and second half moved to right to start after inserted video. In my undoing of that error, instead of undoing the split music, I instead managed to keep the split but butted the two A2 clips against each. I made a durable fix by deleting the second part of the audio in A2 and expanding the first part to its original length.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines