• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ripple Trim to Previous Edit to Playhead no longer trims 1 frame in Premiere 2022

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previously, if your playhead was at the beginning of a clip, you could press the Ripple Trim to Previous Edit shortcut and it would delete one frame of the clip. This no longer works in Premiere 2022.

Is this a bug or a feature? If this is a feature, a toggle would be much appreciated because I use this constantly.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

We have added the desired functionality, Ripple trim of first frame when you are at the head of a clip, as a new shortcut - Ripple Delete Head Frame. This is in the current Premiere Pro 22.5 Beta (build 032+) available in Creative Cloud.

Back by popular demand you can ripple delete one frame at a time with your preferred keyboard shortcut. To use it, set up a Keyboard Shortcut (Option-Command-K) and search for “Ripple Delete Head Frame.” Once you have designated your KBS, position your playhea

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 100 Replies 100
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely want this back!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the bug report/feature request. I apologize that this undocumented shortcut (that the product team felt was a bug) turned into a useful feature for a percentage of editors like yourself. As a support rep., I'll advocate for a solution for this. I hope we can get more upvotes to restore this ability. 

Take Care,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too! Why did they change this? The shortcut now is useless for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe really thinks this is a "bug fix" not a "bug". Arghh..

• Ripple Trim shortcut will slip one frame.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/adobe-max-2021-and-adobe-premiere-pro-v-22/m...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I obviously don't know their metrics on how many people use this, but this has become a vital part of my workflow over the years. Could we get a toggle for this, Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea, phatcorns. A custom shortcut to restore the behavior you previously had. I would advocate for that. 

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Manniac. It was considered a bug. Sorry again.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for helping us out here. We need more upvotes!

We're all just looking for, if our playhead is at the start of a clip, if we use the Ripple Edit to Previous Edit, that it removes the first frame of that clip and adjusts the timeline afterward accordingly.

It was like this forever and was INSANELY handy for editors wanting to move fast. The way it is now, in order to delete that first frame, I have to hit the right arrow, and then hit the function. That sucks majorly because sometimes you just want to remove the first frame, test your edit, and maybe do that a few times.

Also, for those of us for use gamepads for editing, it was useful because it was just a key instead of having build a Macro. I think I can build a macro for the way it is now, but it's just a big change to our workflow. It would be great to just have a toggle feature than can adjust the behavior of that tool.

I've chatted to my sister Lauren at Adobe about it also, so we have a few heads on this now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I've chatted to my sister Lauren at Adobe ...

lol!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you work with her?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi StephanG,
Stan doesn't work with Adobe he's a Community Pro, like a "power user." I do, though. Of course, Adobe is a huuuuuuge company. There are tons of Laurens, I'm afraid. Is she on the Premiere Pro team? 

Anyway, this is an unusal case where multiple users found an undocumented and unintended use of a tool useful for their workflow. I'll do my best to advocate for some kind of modifier to get this one back in the toolset.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be missing something here, but it seems to work fine for me. Opened a converted project, it worked, started a new project in v22 dropped in one clip and could advace a frame / Q to delete that frame, etc, etc.

(Ripple Trim Previous Edit To Playhead)

Win: 21H1, PP: v22

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't work here with v22 (Windows 10).

Pressing Q used to delete everything from the beginning of a clip to the playhead, INCLUDING the current frame. Now the current frame is not deleted.

This means, when you're at the beginning of a clip and press Q 3 times it would trim 3 frames from the beginning of the clip.

Now it simply does nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, with further playing I see that as true. However, I never used it before like that, I've always use 'Slip Clip Selection Left One Frame' to trim frames off the beginning of the clip like that.

MyerPj_0-1635627525371.png

I've upvoted the UserVoice thread, but I don't see any change to the way the cursor works, but in relation to the Q working as before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe "slip" means IN and OUT of the clip slip by one frame, not just the IN. So sadly it's not the same...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah unfortunately not the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Here's the normal protcol for trimming off frames at the head of a frame:

• Advance frames using the arrow keys (or JKL: Press K and tap L) to find the edit point, then press Q.
  • Select the edit with the Ripple Edit tool and press Alt/Option Left or Right.
  • Double click with the Ripple Trim tool (Trim Edit Launches) and press Alt/Option Left or Right.

It sounds like in fixing a bug, they also removed this "hidden" function. Unfortunate. I can see how one could get used to having that ability.

A workaround for you: I advance "frame by frame" the amount of frames I want in locating the edit point (I press K and tap L , as a technique) then press Q to ripple trim to that point. This technique works well if you are a JKL oriented editor. Can you try it? If you are not really a JKL person, you can use the arrow keys to move frame by frame.

The product team is aware of this issue and its severity to some users. A bug is filed, as well. 

Feel free to upvote this feature request: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/44363268-cursor-frame-behav...

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not 'drastic' when you consider the time of hitting an extra button.

The problem is two things:

1. If I'm using the keystroke 100 times a day, which sometimes I'm using it 1000 times a day, now I'm hitting buttons 2000 of the time. When you function this down onto a team of editors, like I have 8 underneath me, then we have just doubled our budget of that task to hit a key. 

So, it's not a huge deal, until you monetize it and I've already calculated that the average amount of time that my team of 8 would be using that function, equates to a loss of at least $243 daily. That's $63,180 annually, of the time it takes to hit this extra button.

That's brutal, considering that ie's just as easy to program in a toggle switch in the preferences. 

The other problem is, for lots of editors who are used to the 'film' way of NLE editing, then the way the feature works now doesn't make sense at all, which is why so many comments are showing up here. This really should be a preference setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

👏

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much for this, while adobe "fixes their fixing" I can rename these hotkeys to Q and W and go on with my work. this saved me lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Manniac That's what we're talking about. Before the update to 2022, we didn't have to advance a frame to delete it. You could just be at the beginning of a clip and hit Q and it would remove the first frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephan,

Sorry. I'm still supporting your case, but I need a bit more info to pass along.

You are performing the same function, though. Help me understand how the former behavior is superior. You are still advancing frames by pressing Q that many frames. The only difference I can discern that you need to press one extra key. I guess that's too much? Let me know.

How about the opposite? Did you ever place your playhead on the tailframe and press W multiple times, and expected that to work? Wondering.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines