• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ripple Trim to Previous Edit to Playhead no longer trims 1 frame in Premiere 2022

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previously, if your playhead was at the beginning of a clip, you could press the Ripple Trim to Previous Edit shortcut and it would delete one frame of the clip. This no longer works in Premiere 2022.

Is this a bug or a feature? If this is a feature, a toggle would be much appreciated because I use this constantly.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

We have added the desired functionality, Ripple trim of first frame when you are at the head of a clip, as a new shortcut - Ripple Delete Head Frame. This is in the current Premiere Pro 22.5 Beta (build 032+) available in Creative Cloud.

Back by popular demand you can ripple delete one frame at a time with your preferred keyboard shortcut. To use it, set up a Keyboard Shortcut (Option-Command-K) and search for “Ripple Delete Head Frame.” Once you have designated your KBS, position your playhea

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 100 Replies 100
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your effort Kevin.

If I put a video / audio clip on the timeline, and my cursor is at the start of that clip, my desire would be when I press the Q button, essentially the first frame of that clip is deleted and the timeline is moved back a frame. It's no different from starting at the front of a clip, hitting the right arrow to move forward a frame, hitting cut on all tracks, and then using the Track Select Forward tool to select everything post cut, and then move all that back a frame. Same function, more steps.

Forever, the Ripple Delete to Previous Edit functioned in this way. Now, as per the update a few days ago, when I go to the start of a clip and press Q, nothing happens. This is the point of contention because it's not actually a bug - it's how all NLEs worked because they're based on film. The way it worked before was like film. I'm going to remove the first frame, maybe a few times, to get the edit I want. It's easier to do it that way because you can test your edit faster, and C+Z faster to make it right.

Also, the point of Q doing nothing at the front of a clip is pretty ridiculous. I expect it to remove the frame, bring the next frame back to the start. 

The frame is the frame I'm on. I want to delete that frame using the Q button, rather than select the next frame. Again, if some people prefer it the 'new' way, that's fine, but I truly acknowledge that this should be a preference setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kudo's to @stephang18915149 for keeping this thread alive, it's unique in the passion it has caused for many users. This part though of Stephan's first post did kind of crack me up...

<<It's no different from starting at the front of a clip, hitting the right arrow to move forward a frame, hitting cut on all tracks, and then using the Track Select Forward tool to select everything post cut, and then move all that back a frame. Same function, more steps.>>

Wow! Mind boggling. However, this looks far less painful than the above.

righ-arrow, q

Cheers! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi phatcorns,

I believe this is a bug fix and now it doesn't behave the same way.

I am not on the product team, so I cannot foment change in this regard—you, and others on this post should definitely log this into User Voice. I like the idea of a toggle if you found the previous behavior useful. If you wouldn't mind placing or upvoting a feature request or bug report that covers this behavior, I'd be glad to upvote, as well as, advocate for that change given the chance. 

I apologize for the issue. I will look into it further after the weekend when I get back to the office. 

Thanks.
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second this.  Want it back to how it used to work. Something that was previously the tap of one key is turning into a process that needs both hands and using the arrow keys etc. My workflow is seriously hindered with this update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jskb79074794,

Yes! But what you did not want was the bug that was there before either. That was the one where pressing Q used to chop off an extra frame when using the tool as designed. So, we, as a community would like this ability restored, as well as, the bug fix that I just mentioned. 

I have faith. For example, in 22.1.2, they just fixed Num Pad entry in the Essential Graphics panel, which was also a "bug" a good number of users were using as a feature for a long time, as well.

I hope that you can exercise patience as the product team considers these issues and completes a fix. They are aware of the issue.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really messing me up right now please fix this guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jskb,

Sorry, man. Can you upvote on User Voice? These are user to user forums and do not constitute an official bug report.

As a support rep., I can raise the issue, but to get a change going, we are going to need some upvotes. Our colleague posted a bug report. Have you upvoted yet? https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/44363268-cursor-frame-behav...

To provide a bit of perspective: jskb, you (and others) are super clever to have even found this aspect of using the Ripple Trim commands. These Ripple Trim to Head/Tail commands were an add on to the original code only a few major versions ago. We didn't always have the feature. It is a godsend, I think, and is super popular.

Not sure where you learned this undocumented tip. A fellow editor? An article? You've got me curious, but I commend you. I honestly have never heard it before and I've read thousands of posts over the last decade. Here is the intended workflow from our Learn team, who work with the product team.

Again, I'll try to advocate for the User Voice post if I can. By the way, I am an editor, so I defintely understand about this. Changes to the app that alter your workflow is disruptive. I am sorry. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I learned about Ripple Trim from this particular video in 2015: https://youtu.be/FvttfdbgLLM Totally transformed how I thought about video editing and I don't know if I would be a video editor if it weren't for this.

But as for the trick of being able to quickly delete one frame at the beginning of a clip using Ripple Trim, I just discovered that on my own as I used Ripple Trim. It's actually super handy and for those who have never used it, worth trying out if you still have an older version of premiere installed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maybe there is something interesting for you here:

Screenshot 2021-10-31 201211.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, that didn't work for me. Anyone else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually work with the Q and W key combinations, and I use the Ripple edit tool for adjustments. No problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah that's what we're talking about. The way the Q button works is now different from the Adobe Premiere 2022 update. It no longer functions, at all, if you're at the beginning of a clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

honestly, I didn't use the Q key to delete one frame at the beginning. I can't say anything about it. I am quite satisfied with Q and W in the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand how to develop a product only by making it worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have that one wrong, Baffy. The team had no idea people were using this function in this fashion. I never have seen this before, honestly. The team is good at a lot of stuff, except mind reading. 🙂

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI Kevin, my Sister knows you / of you and spoke to your level of capacity in Final Cut, so I appreciate your presence here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Final Cut? What's that? I gave that thing up in, what, 2010? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin,

I finally have the backstory on this. Apparently you had a guest speaker from Try Guys at the Diverstiy and Inclusion summit at Adobe, and he complained about the way the cursor behaved saying 'it was a bug'. That lead to the higher ups just making a rush decision to change it, which has messed up other proper functioning tools in Premiere.

To me, this is hurtful because here we are, a community of editors, being over-ruled by someone who spoke in house and a change was made immediately, without consultation of the community, and the drawbacks of that change weren't properly thought out.

That is literally the opposite of Diversity and Inclusion. Like, if I want something done in Premiere, should I just invite myself to speak at your conferences? 

Anyway, feelings aside, what's actually happened here is that the way the cursor functions has fundamentally changed. So, for example, it used to be that when you hit an an Out mark on the timeline, that the Out would literally be the Right side of the frame cursor. Now, it's the left side, which is a fundamental redesign in how Premiere works and is far from it's original be-like-film design.

This makes sense if you're an editor without the back-experience or just used to editing your videos on some online Youtube video maker. To everyone else, this is a serious challenge.

The reason this affects the start of the Ripple Trim (which used to work NORMALLY as expected and as designed) is because now that the cursor considers the entire frame to be only the Left side of the cursor, it now does nothing. 

I filmed myself yesterday having to use it the 'new way' and it was a drastic difference. Myself and lots of other editors use this functionality literally every fourth keystroke.

I'm on my knees here Kevin. This is a brutal change to Premiere, without consultation or warning, because of something that happened in house that people panicked about without context. This change shouldn't have happened at all, or at least if it was going to be changed, should have been a Preference function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I support the choice. A professional product, which is why it differs from other editors. This needs to be understood and realized. On this occasion, I think it would be right to discuss changes or additions to existing functions on the forum by Adobe employees. We're a community, not a herd. We need to be an ecosystem and serve each other. Choosing a product is a conscious step that must meet the realities and take editing to a new level. Now most professionals in their field are experiencing difficulties in creating content, because there are recurring errors and flaws in new functions. We hope for a productive and stable product with a lot of interesting features that engineers will introduce in the near future. With respect to the Adobe development team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I supported it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sweeeeeet!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that is kind of crazy. Just changed the way the program works after at least six years (and as far as I know since the ripple trim feature was introduced) just because one person complained? That seems a little cavalier and really sucks that no one in the community was consulted.

Not to mention it was classified as a bug. I hardly think that this should have been classified as a bug considering it's been like this for as long as it has. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This really doesn't make sense. Please bring it back ASAP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines