• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ripple Trim to Previous Edit to Playhead no longer trims 1 frame in Premiere 2022

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previously, if your playhead was at the beginning of a clip, you could press the Ripple Trim to Previous Edit shortcut and it would delete one frame of the clip. This no longer works in Premiere 2022.

Is this a bug or a feature? If this is a feature, a toggle would be much appreciated because I use this constantly.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

We have added the desired functionality, Ripple trim of first frame when you are at the head of a clip, as a new shortcut - Ripple Delete Head Frame. This is in the current Premiere Pro 22.5 Beta (build 032+) available in Creative Cloud.

Back by popular demand you can ripple delete one frame at a time with your preferred keyboard shortcut. To use it, set up a Keyboard Shortcut (Option-Command-K) and search for “Ripple Delete Head Frame.” Once you have designated your KBS, position your playhea

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 100 Replies 100
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Artpechka,

Hi.

yup

Rock on, then!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use it all the time, I really need it back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alfonso,

Apologies for this. You can upvote a feature request here: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/44363268-cursor-frame-behav...

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES PLEASE FIX THIS!! I edit multicamera classes for work and I've had to dramatically change how I edit because of this bug and have actually just downgraded to the previous version because the new one is so whack. 

So i'm paying for updates that I'm not using and are slowing down my work flow. PLEASE PLEASE FIX THIS!!

my whole editing team is extremely frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin-Monahan,

Hope this finds you well and safe. Thank you for taking the time to answer all of our messages.

Though, if you read your own answers, the solution that Adobe is proposing makes us go through 3 steps instead of one. So, you can understand our frustration with a software we are paying for and at every upgrade makes us face similar challenges. 

To use a previous version of Premiere Pro should never and I mean never, be suggested as a solution, because:

1) We pay for the service, so we expect it to be working 100% and that we will be able to install the latest version as soon as it's released (unfortunately, that rarely happens); 

2) We as editors have to be up to date with the latest versions, because most of our clients/agencies today, do have their Premiere Pro also installed, so can you imagine how "nice" it is for us to have to explain to them or even warn them not to install the latest updates due to bugs? If it looks bad for us, can you imagine how bad does it look for Adobe?

3) Editing is a beautiful and ever evolving craft, therefore the workflow keeps changing, because we, editors, are always finding new ways to improve it. Thus, the normal protocol is not always the best protocol, because in this case, it makes us spend 3x the time we would, should we have this feature available. Have you imagined if we were to tell our biggest and most innovative cinematographers out there that they couldn't do what they do because they are breaking protocols? So, yeah, the explanation we received from Adobe doesn't work for me either! 

Already upvoted this feature and for those who are reading this, if you haven't please make sure you do: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/44363268-cursor-frame-behav... 

Thanking you in advance Kevin and Adobe for your time, because I am sure you will speed this up and get this sorted for us, before we reach 2022. 

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello PR0_3D1T0R,

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I am not on the Premiere Pro product team so I cannot really expedite your upvote for the feature request nor can I expound on the points you made - the people that need to read your points are over on User Voice, so please make your comments to them over there. 

I am in support, so now that the request is filed and is in User Voice, I can really only assist with workarounds at this point. My potential interaction with speeding this specific feature request into production is limited to advocacy, and for that, I apologize.

In order to fast track it, more people need to upvote the request. I can only ask for your patience as the Premiere Pro team considers your request.

Sorry. I wish I had a better response.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Kevin, I truly appreciate you taking the time. I will make sure to post this there too.

Have a great day ahead,

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is disappointing that we are all being directed to the UserVoice page, but after months and months, still nothing has been done about it. Honestly, it was cathartic reading through this thread and seeing that I'm not crazy, though I feel sorry for others who are having to deal with this too.

Reading through the comments, it's hard for me to verbalize why exactly this functionality is so important. Because, yeah, you can just move the playhead to exactly where you need it to be and ripple delete, rather than hit a key at the front of the playhead and do it frame by frame.

But it's just... better. It just is. You have a lot more control over previewing your edit. For example, if I ever think: "do I need that first frame?" then I can hit one key in order to preview it. If it's wrong, I undo it. Two strokes max, and I never have to move the playhead.

It's frustrating that a problem is being presented from a lot of accomplished editors, and there is either no response, or the response is: "That was a bug. Why don't you just do it the right way?" Well, because the bug is quicker. The "right way" has always been available to us, and we found a more efficient way to do it. The reason we used the so called "bug" is because the bug is faster than the "right way."

Speed and efficiency are our jobs. With the new update, Premiere is asking us to be less efficient in order to do things correctly.

I understand that these things happen sometimes. It's really just the silence that is so frustrating. There is one guy in this thread who works for Adobe, but all he's able to do is link us to a page that Adobe hasn't responded to in over 2 months, though it's the top result on the "Hot" tab.

It's not like we're even asking for anything "new." We just want to be able to toggle something in Preferences that restores the previous functionality. That's it.

Until then, I have to use the old version of Premiere. That's fine for now, but it's disheartening the longer we hear nothing from Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Josh,

Sorry for the frustration. I believe your thread expresses the concerns of a good number of Premiere Pro editors, so thanks, in advance.

It is disappointing that we are all being directed to the UserVoice page, but after months and months, still nothing has been done about it.

Did you upvote on the User Voice page yet? That's the best course of action you can take. Sorry for the impact on your work and that you had to move back to the previous version.

Not sure where you learned about this hidden feature, but I never knew about it and I edit daily. Granted, it is pretty cool, but I've never seen such a thing fly under the radar for so long. There is nary a mention of it within this community, on YouTube, or any blog post since the Q/W functionality was introduced around 4 years ago. We both know it is not listed in official documentation: the Premiere Pro User Guide.

To reiterate: Ripple Trim to Playhead didn't work as designed and trimmed off an extra frame every time you used the tool: that's not cool, and I'd think anyone would agree with that.

In fixing the bug, the undocumented hidden feature (AKA the Q bug/ripple trim frame by frame to playhead at the head of a clip) was removed in the process. Why? The code is different now. The team had no idea about how you and others were using the tool and did not test against a hidden function. Sorry. Things like that do happen from time to time.

I hope you approve that Ripple Trim to Playhead got fixed to work as designed. Just sorry it cut off a function you used in the process, a function devs or support had no idea about.

it's hard for me to verbalize why exactly this functionality is so important.

You don't need to. I like the hidden feature too. Pretty cool once I tried it. Like many others, this feature is not documented in the User Guide. I and many others had no idea it was ever there.

It's frustrating that a problem is being presented from a lot of accomplished editors, and there is either no response, or the response is: "That was a bug.

I've been responding to this issue. Right? Who were you expecting, Adobe Sensei himself? 😉

I'm the support guy who feeds the issues to the team, so they know about this issue brought about by the bug fix, and yes, a feature request for the hidden feature (ripple trim to playhead: frame by frame) is filed, but the team actually is not found on these user to user forums, so it seems like silence. They are engaging over on User Voice, but their participation tends to be somewhat sparse since they are so busy. Sorry about that - you're stuck with me on these forums; that's my gig.

So what do users want? They want the hidden feature back in addition to the bug fix for Q that won't delete an extra frame. Additional development needs to occur in order to get both of these things working as you would like, and unfortunately, that takes time.

Speed and efficiency are our jobs. With the new update, Premiere is asking us to be less efficient in order to do things correctly.

Adobe Sensei is pretty awesome, but I don't think there was a way Adobe could read your mind when you used a hidden feature. This is just one of those occurrences you have to live with until a some kind of new feature or fix arrives. It's nothing Adobe did on purpose to ruin your workflow. Devs didn't know...

I understand that these things happen sometimes. It's really just the silence that is so frustrating.

Again, these are user to user forums. The devs do not visit these forums, they are not being silent on purpose - they simply aren't here.

There is one guy in this thread who works for Adobe, but all he's able to do is link us to a page that Adobe hasn't responded to in over 2 months, though it's the top result on the "Hot" tab.

If the post is #1 in the "Hot" tab, that's a good sign that devs need to pay attention to the issue. It's the best we as users can do! Because it's at the top, it's a very good sign! So this "one guy" here (me) thinks the community is doing a good job by upvoting and commenting in the post.

It's not like we're even asking for anything "new." We just want to be able to toggle something in Preferences that restores the previous functionality. That's it.

Great idea for how you'd like to see the feature implemented. Make sure you add that comment to the User Voice post. When you say, "that's it," you make it sound like the feature would be simple to implement and should be done immediately.

Unfortunately, that is not how software development works. New features to take a lot longer to implement than users expect as said features can need a lot of testing within the skunkwerks to make sure that other things do not get broken, or new bugs do not get created, in addition to having the new feature functioning the way users expect. These are the dangers of adding new features, by the way, something I would never have known had I (as an editor) not worked internally at places like Apple and now Adobe. I'll share this with you: in software dev, you can't just add a feature willy-nilly - especually if it might break an important hunk of the software, referred to as risk.

There is a broad misunderstanding of how NLE software dev actually works amongst editors, it's freakin' tricky at times!

I hope to close the gap in helping folks understand how stuff works, how stuff breaks, how stuff gets fixed, and how everyone can remain calm and understanding when such issues occur. Feel free to ask questions.

There is a lot of mystery behind the doors of NLE software dev, and some of it, no, most of it, is necessary because of business protocol. For users, you do have to be persisitent in expressing the faults of their NLE, but also understanding that devs are only human and are working as hard as possible on a tool they are very proud of. Be vocal, but do remember to be kind, as well. 

it's disheartening the longer we hear nothing from Adobe. 

I hope I have shown you that Adobe is listening. I'm "that guy" you will hear from on these forums. To get in touch with devs, leave a comment in the appropriate user voice post. If you were hoping to hear, "hey, we'll put that hidden feature back in the next release," I'm sorry. "When" questions cannot be answered because of the business protocol I mentioned earlier. The best thing you can do is have others upvote the feature request. OK? I do appreciate your patience and understanding, so thanks. 

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin:

This isn't an issue for me, but I have to say I appreciate the time you've taken to explain how the dev process works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah Kevin's da boss.

And let's practice the art of patience. If something's not working, and the perception is that nothing is happening, that doesn't mean it's not. There's levels to any organization and Kevin is THE guy helping us, but he needs our help with the votes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin. Hope my post didn't sound unkind. I did upvote it back when I first found it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not at all, Josh. I liked your response as it encapsulates a lot of the same feelings others are having. Let's help others find their way to the upvotes that will give us the ability to ripple trim to playhead frame by frame once again.

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel u mate! this should be fixed asap!!! just having huge problems and it slows down my whole editing process by 25%

This is a HUGE misstake from adobe. They should maj´ke at least an option to still use the old behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if this has been fixed yet or if they are even looking at doing it...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, come on! It's a choice of preferences. Give us the option to just turn this feature on!
I want to work in new versions of the program that have this feature. It's very easy to do, just 1 checkbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

Super sorry you didn't get your feature request/bug fix in the 21.2 update. Again, devs do not read this forum. I know, but they would if they had more time. They respond on User Voice, though. Sorry about that. Have you upvoted your colleague's User Voice request yet? Here's the link if you need it: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/44363268-cursor-frame-behav...

I upvoted.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set a custom keyboard shortcut for Select Nearest Edit Point as Ripple In (suggested: control q) and Select Nearest Edit Point as Ripple Out (suggested: control w).  

This way after pressing Q or W, you can Trim Forward (option right arrow) or Trim Backward (option left arrow).

These can be used prior to Q and W as the selection remains active until cleared with Escape or Deselect All.

The behavior requested in this forum post only allows for Trim Forward.  If anything, the request should be that pressing Q a second time does a select Nearest Edit Point as Ripple In such that the resulting yellow bracket at the left edge of the clip does what it's always done: ripple.

If you're not already using the following, I cannot recommend it highly enough as Q and W work while any of them are active:

• Select Nearest Edit Point as Ripple In
  • Select Nearest Edit Point as Ripple Out
  • Select Nearest Edit Point as Trim In
  • Select Nearest Edit Point as Trim Out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good tips! 🙂 @Warren Heaton  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have added the desired functionality, Ripple trim of first frame when you are at the head of a clip, as a new shortcut - Ripple Delete Head Frame. This is in the current Premiere Pro 22.5 Beta (build 032+) available in Creative Cloud.

Back by popular demand you can ripple delete one frame at a time with your preferred keyboard shortcut. To use it, set up a Keyboard Shortcut (Option-Command-K) and search for “Ripple Delete Head Frame.” Once you have designated your KBS, position your playhead before the extraneous frames, press your chosen KBS and delete one frame at a time until you land on your ideal first frame. Try it out and let us know what you think!

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-beta-discussions/ripple-delete-frame-shortcut/m-p/129535...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We all love you. Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh Ripple Delete Head Frame but no Ripple Delete End Frame?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for listening to community feedback and implementing a solution by bringing the "old" Q trim back as a new bindable command.
As others mentioned, this was useful/crucial in certain situations in editing workflow, especially when cutting with several  targeted tracks, or just cutting to next frame, and it was getting frustrating with the "new" behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines