• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotate a clip and set correct frame size/orientation

Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often import video from my phone, which when I start recording, I have in portrait orientation and then rotate to landscape.  Problem is the entire video is recorded in portrait mode.  I know how to edit once I drop into a sequence (rotate/zoom).  But the clip in the clip window remains in portrait.

I found out how to rotate the sequence, by dropping a transform effect onto the clip and then rotate -90 degrees.  But the frame remains in portrait mode (see attached screenshot).  I searched for help on this topic and found a post about cropping that said to select "set to frame size".  Where is this option?  I searched every menu and the built-in help and found nothing.

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your sequence settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See attached screenshot.

I know how to fix once I drop onto a sequence.  It's just that I can't select the time interval I want in the Source (clip) window because when I rotate the clip, the Source window continues to show a portrait mode frame, with top and bottom blacked out (see screenshot in original post).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't apply transform as a source clip effect, it will not work because the clip will be rotated within its original dimensions and the result is what you get now. You have to do the rotation in the other tab of the effect controls (not the source tab) after adding the clip to a sequence

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I originally read about correcting the crop in the source window was in the discussion: "When I rotate a clip in Premiere, how do I get the crop to go back to normal? ":

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/rotate-and-crop-issue-need-help-please/m-p/1... 

Most of the answers mentioned "Set to frame size" or "scale to frame size".  I just didn't see this setting anywhere.

Most of the answers here seem to say I can't correct for the wrong orientation in the original footage.  I understand completely how to fix the issue once it's in a sequence.  What I wanted was to be able to select multiple segments of a clip in the source window without having to apply the same correction every time I dropped it on the timeline of a sequence.  This doesn't appear to be possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's exactly what my response was about ... apply an effect to the clip/s in a bin, that effect is applied on every instance of any bit of that/those files in any seuquence in the project.

Basic operation of the Source files process. Very, very useful.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2023 Nov 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the rotation in the other tab of the effect controls, not the source tab, after adding the clip to a sequence. It does not seem to matter. The image will rotate. The dimensions will not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2023 Nov 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That follows exactly expected behavior. The dimensions *are* the sequence. You rotated an item placed on that sequence of those dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this, create a preset of that effect set for proper rotation and sizing.

Now drag/drop that effect onto the clips in the Project panel bins.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the frame remains in portrait mode

Just go into your sequence settings and swap the height and width.

Make sure the Editing Mode is set to Custom.

Also make sure your phone is in landscape mode before hitting the record button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines