• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Running time different in sequence timeline than original clip

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed something strange and can't figure it out. I have an mp4 file that is 85 minutes, 8 seconds when I open it in quicktime player. It is a file I have exported at 23.976 fps.

When I import it into Premiere and place it on a new sequence timeline, it matches the source clip's 23.976. But when I look on the timeline, it appears to be 5 seconds shorter, at 85 minutes, 3 seconds. 

What is happening? I need to turn in a transcript and total running time of the film, but I'm not sure which figure to use, what I see in quicktime (and vimeo and VLC) or the different time on my Premiere timeline. 

Any help is very much appreciated!! 

TOPICS
Export , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention, if I export the file with 23.976 output, it still adds the 5 seconds to the what my timeline says...???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drop frame timecode or variable frame rate footage?

Try setting your framerate to 24fps or use Shutter Encoder to create a constant frame rate clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I don't understand how drop frame timecode or variable frame rate footage work, but it gives me a direction to research and try to figure out. 

When you say setting my framerate to 24fps, when/where? The sequence? Exporting? Appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, try it from the Sequence Settings. Set it to 24 fps. Post a screen shot of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your help. I created both a 24fps and a 23.976 sequence, placed the film clip on there, and on the Premiere timelines, the 5-second difference in running time is there. 

23.976fps sequence: running time 85:03

24 fps sequence: running time 85:08

When I export to h264 files, this is the result:

23.976fps export: running time 85:08

24 fps export: running time 85:08

Both of the files end up the same length, 85:08. When I check the two clips, they correspond exactly frame by frame throughout. Is this the true running time? 

And, does that mean when I export a 23.976 file, it automatically shifts the time code to make up for the remaining .014 frames per second? So, I shouldn't trust the 23.976 timeline as exact? 

This is so weird and I never encoutnered this issue until I made this feature film where it was noticeable and I'm being asked for very exact transcript and running time.

I'm including screenshots, in case they help illustrate. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can also use Handbrake to change variable frame rate footage to constant framerate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, it's correct. 23.97 uses a drop-frame to keep the time exactly to the clock. Broadcasters use it as they know a 22 minute segment with drop-frame time code runs 22 minutes. Without the dropped frame it looks a tiny bit longer, since there are no frames dropped in the count. However, they remain the same actual length. 

I do very little work for broadcast, therefore I always use non-drop frame, and did back in the old-school days of tape and time-code generators. Many people do, as there are no 'issuses' of a missing frame number and the absolute length was not an issue.

The drop frame length is correct to the stopwatch. Well done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines