• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving a prtextstyle without placement

Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I am trying to create a .prtextstyle for caption styles that our team can easily use to create videos with burned in captions.

We receive captions from a vendor that already has the placement of them manually adjusted so it doesn't cover anything important. However, their style options aren't that robust. So I was hoping to styize them in premire -- but when I do and save the style as a .prtextstyle it remembers the posistion of the caption block that was selected when the style was saved, overwriting the manual caption placements already done.

So for example, the caption file already has that X caption block should be centered top, but when I apply a Caption Style via .prtextstyle it will move it to the bottom, when I just want it to change the font, font color, and text box color -- not placement.

Is there a way to save a .prtextstyle without the caption placement? I opened the .prtextstyle in Text Edit to see if there was a value I could change but didn't see any obvious sections.

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

No, you cannot use a [Caption] Track Style, whether saved as .prtextstyle or just defined in the project. The reason is just as you say: position is included in the track style, so whatever position is defined when the style is created, that position will be applied to every caption in the track.

This is a terrrible problem, and I have not looked to see if there is a feature request to provide an alternative. Also, there are other variaitons that some users want: for example, if you want to di

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you cannot use a [Caption] Track Style, whether saved as .prtextstyle or just defined in the project. The reason is just as you say: position is included in the track style, so whatever position is defined when the style is created, that position will be applied to every caption in the track.

This is a terrrible problem, and I have not looked to see if there is a feature request to provide an alternative. Also, there are other variaitons that some users want: for example, if you want to differentiate a speaker by position and font characteristics.

The workaround is to NOT use a track style, but to select all captions and change just the font characteristics you want. I have not fully tested this. There are multiple alignment settings, but as long as they are not changed and the font size changes are not large, it seems to work okay. 

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Stan. Yea I think based on what you said and my expermenting -- I would just have to provide guidelines for team members on what settings for them to use (such as x font, x size, x drop shadow settings, etc.) It's several extra steps, and while not complicated to do, it's not as easy as selecting X Text Style and being done with it, which is what I was hoping for. Having them re-manually change the placement ontop of it would take too much time for the volume of videos we do--which is why we outsorce that step to begin with!

Thanks for your insight and confirmation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds right to me.

What format caption file are you using that keeps the positioning when imported to PR?

BTW, here's the feature request link. I did not see one that is on point.

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link! Importing a .SCC file carries over the manual posistioning our caption provider set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my comment here for new option:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/how-to-install-import-prtextstyle-in-premier...

----------
Become so undeniably good that you give your imposter syndrome an inferiority complex.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Tony Zed,

Project Templates are relatively new, and are a good way to make styles available. But it will not help with a style applying the same position to all the captions on a track.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines