Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scene Edit Detection subclips bug

Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I do media analysis on YouTube, which requires me to use footage from movies & television to complement the narration. Scene edit detection has been great for this, as I can just import the files into my workspace, and premiere will automatically chop them up into subclips before depositing them into a folder for later use. It's honestly been a game changer for me.

That being said, there has been a bug that has been bothering me for quite some time, and to date, I am yet to find a solution.

For some reason, whenever I drag a SED subclip into the timeline, it always adds on the final frame from the previous shot during the import process, meaning I have to cut that first frame every single time or the viewer will be bombarded with flash frames. Sometimes this isn't a problem if I'm intending on shortening the clip even further anyway, but there are points where I do just want to drag & drop clips into my timeline, and it's a giant pain to have to chop it down every time.

This first frame doesn't appear in the subclip preview & this problem is also not present when I go back to the original chopped up file. This is a problem exclusive to the import process.

I've been searching for years at this point for a solution, but no one else has either noticed this issue or has been bothered to bring it up, and my patience is wearing a bit thin. I waited a little bit to reach out to see if any future updates would fix the problem, but it's become clear that this is not on Adobe's radar, so I figured it was about time I draw some attention to it & see if a solution already exists.

I've also attached a video demonstrating the problem, in case my description wasn't clear.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Import , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Something I've noticed is that if I drag one of the subclips into the new sequence button & then I drap addition subclips in that subsequent sequence, the issue doesn't seem to occur.

When I drag it into a sequence created from whole cloth, however, that seems to be when the bug decides to pop up & I can't seem to fix it by changing the sequence settings after the fact either.

Hopefully this is some useful data.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

I think I found the cause and solution of this in some tests I did.

This occurs when the frame rate of the created Sequence is different from the frame rate of the analyzed video. For example, if you analyze a video with a frame rate of 23,976 and put the subclips created in a sequence with a frame rate of 29,970, the problem will occur.

This explains why it works correctly when you drag subclips to the new sequence button, as the created sequence takes over the properties of the subclips.

To co

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

I think we're on the right track, just one little hiccup I want to see if I can correct.

The footage in question is 23.98fps, and while I can create a new sequence that lines up to that precisely (by dragging the subclip into the "new sequence" button), I'm struggling to figure out how to change an existing sequence to that frame rate, as I can only get it to 23.976.

Subclip Issue - Sequence settings 1.png

It's a bit of a headscratcher, as the sequence settings for both has the timebase & frame rate as "23.976"...

Subclip Issue - Sequence settings 2.png

...but when you go

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

To correct your current project, if you simply change the frame rate of the subclips from 23,980 to 23,976 in Modify/Interprete Footage your problem will be solved in the sequence with a frame rate of 23,976. (See the video 01 of my screen record attached).

To avoid this problem in your future works, just set the correct frame rate of the video in Modify/Interpret Footage before using Scene Edit Detection. (See the video 02 of my screen record attached).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Okay, I think I'm happy to call this an overall victory.

I tried the first method to change the sub clips, but that ended up embedding the issue into the clips themselves (so even in the folder, that first frame problem was occurring) & the only way to fix that was to manually adjust the exact timing of every single subclip, so I ended up just creating a new sequence from a subclip & moved all my work over there.

Maybe an idea for a future update would be to use the same AI that allowed for the e

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't reproduce this issue, The Kilners. Can anyone else reproduce it? Let me know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot reproduce either.

but then again there are a lot of issues here on the forum I cannot reproduce.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JEDIT,

Thank you so much for adding the findings of your test. I had not considered the frame rate difference issue. I had a minor bug where the up and down arrow keys would not work on the subclips, except for the first one. In that case, your workaround did not help. 

@The Kilners - can you try jedit's method to see if your subclip issue is sorted?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, posted my findings below.

Jedit is definitely on the correct track, just some minor details to sort out in regard to executing the plan. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something I've noticed is that if I drag one of the subclips into the new sequence button & then I drap addition subclips in that subsequent sequence, the issue doesn't seem to occur.

When I drag it into a sequence created from whole cloth, however, that seems to be when the bug decides to pop up & I can't seem to fix it by changing the sequence settings after the fact either.

Hopefully this is some useful data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found the cause and solution of this in some tests I did.

This occurs when the frame rate of the created Sequence is different from the frame rate of the analyzed video. For example, if you analyze a video with a frame rate of 23,976 and put the subclips created in a sequence with a frame rate of 29,970, the problem will occur.

This explains why it works correctly when you drag subclips to the new sequence button, as the created sequence takes over the properties of the subclips.

To correct this, just make sure that the frame rate of the created sequence is the same as the generated subclips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we're on the right track, just one little hiccup I want to see if I can correct.

The footage in question is 23.98fps, and while I can create a new sequence that lines up to that precisely (by dragging the subclip into the "new sequence" button), I'm struggling to figure out how to change an existing sequence to that frame rate, as I can only get it to 23.976.

Subclip Issue - Sequence settings 1.png

It's a bit of a headscratcher, as the sequence settings for both has the timebase & frame rate as "23.976"...

Subclip Issue - Sequence settings 2.png

...but when you go into sequence properties, one sequence is listed as "23.976" while the subclip-created sequence is "23.98". 

Subclip Issue - Sequence properties.png

It's such a tiny difference, but it does seem that even that small discrepency can result in the issue described. The resolution is also different, but my tests have shown that it doesn't seem to be a factor. Maybe the audio being stereo versus 5.1 could also have an effect? I wouldn't think so, but it's worth pointing out just in case.

I can, of course, import my current work into a subclip-created sequence, but I thought it'd probably be good to see if there's a way to edit the sequence settings, both to make it easier on myself & to fully explore this issue for future reference.

Hopefully, I'm just missing something really obvious, haha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To correct your current project, if you simply change the frame rate of the subclips from 23,980 to 23,976 in Modify/Interprete Footage your problem will be solved in the sequence with a frame rate of 23,976. (See the video 01 of my screen record attached).

To avoid this problem in your future works, just set the correct frame rate of the video in Modify/Interpret Footage before using Scene Edit Detection. (See the video 02 of my screen record attached).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I think I'm happy to call this an overall victory.

I tried the first method to change the sub clips, but that ended up embedding the issue into the clips themselves (so even in the folder, that first frame problem was occurring) & the only way to fix that was to manually adjust the exact timing of every single subclip, so I ended up just creating a new sequence from a subclip & moved all my work over there.

Maybe an idea for a future update would be to use the same AI that allowed for the edit detection in the first place to also auto-adjust the subclips to compensate for frame rate changes, but otherwise, I'm happy to have gotten to the bottom of this.

Feel free to pass this idea up the pipeline @Kevin-Monahan, if you are in a position to do such things. Otherwise, just ignore this tag, haha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi The Kilners,

I am glad you were able to find a solution. If you want the feature to behave differently, you can always let the team know here: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro. I'll mention it to the team too, but an official feature request I can point them to would be even better.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines