• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scratch Disk Error

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to have Windows 10 reinstalled on my machine. When that happened It renamed all my drives. So when I go to open an existing project I get this error...(see attachment) SCRATCH.PNG

When I open any existing Project they are totally empty. When I set the Scratch Disks to the Projects folders the projects are still empty. What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to remedy this? I have quite a few projects that I really don't want to start over.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

That sounds like you need to check the permissions for those drivers and folders, first. Sometimes in a new setup, Windows goes all-in for security, and sets every flipping folder in the machine and all connected drives to Read-Only. Or ... just some or most of them. While you're at it, you can rename the drives in Windows OS.

Next, that talks about the scratch disks, where it stores some of the projects working data but not your project files normally. So ... you should be able to access your pr

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like you need to check the permissions for those drivers and folders, first. Sometimes in a new setup, Windows goes all-in for security, and sets every flipping folder in the machine and all connected drives to Read-Only. Or ... just some or most of them. While you're at it, you can rename the drives in Windows OS.

Next, that talks about the scratch disks, where it stores some of the projects working data but not your project files normally. So ... you should be able to access your projects, but if the folders are all read-only, would screw up getting any work done.

Check that, and post back what you find and are able to try.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

That seemed to do the trick. Thanks. Stan, no I was never getting the box to direct toward the media. It did give me that option once I changed the permissions on my Storage Drive. Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just happy you're working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Neil!

I'm Darrell from Indonesia, I have a similar problem with my adobe premiere pro cs6 on windows 10 when I'm trying to create a new project. I'm sorry I can't really understand your instructions to solve the problem. Can you please simplify the steps for me. I do videomaking for a living so your help would mean a lot to me.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're getting a notice that scratch discs are write-protected, or that Premiere cannot access something, or it can't find nor search certain folders, then you have a permissions issue in the operating system.

OS's set permissions to who can do what with folders and files. Sometimes they set them to read-only, and sometimes hide them. If the OS sets your cache-files to a read-only state, Premiere can't write to them ... yea, that shuts Premiere down as it must have a usable cache.

So at that point, you need to go into your OS and change things. Sometimes it's simply right-clicking on a program's icon and setting it to "run as administrator", other times it means using Finder or Explorer to search for a folder, and then change the property for permissions for that folder and/or its contents.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I got this error today on my macbook running Monteray 12.3.1
I have an external drive that suddenly can't be written to.
It says that "I" can read and write and everyone else can't.
When I try to edit the permsion for "staff" it says "I" don't have permission.

I have not changed how I log in or my personas or anything.

Q: what am I doing wrong?|

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just went through this, but had no trouble finding and using my projects and media.

Are you not prompted to locate media? You see nothing in the project panel?

The scratch disk should not be an issue. Just let it set to your documents folder until you find your project.

How are you opening your project? (Opening PR first? Or double clicking a project file?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines