Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

selecting the h.264 format crashed Premiere when exporting

Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I am new to Premiere but I am not a layman when it comes to IT.  This has had me scratching my head for 2 days now.  I have searched on the forums and the interwebs for a solution to this problem and found that others had this same problem but none of their solutions helped me.

My Specs

Adobe Version: CC (Latest)

Gfx Card: Nvidia GeForce 980Ti

Memory : 24GB

CPU: Intel I7 3770K

HDD: Solid State

I have tried the following:

• Checked the Crash log but it's greek to me as I am not familiar with Premier Pro.
  • Tried selecting "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" but crash still occurs
  • Tested all other formats and they work fine.  Even the H.264 Blu-Ray works but not H.264
  • Tested with a blank project thinking it might be something in the project itself...same thing.  still crashes
  • COMPLETE reinstall of latest Video card Drivers after removing the current drivers using driver sweeper.
  • Ran a scannow /sfc to check for corrupt system files.  No problems found
  • Ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth to check for corrupt files - No problems found
  • Removed all and any other video editing softwares
  • Removed all other codec packs that I had installed
  • Multiple reboots in-between all this
  • Ensured that there were no outstanding Windows Updates
  • Checked the BIOS firmware for my mobo and my Gfx card.  all up to date.

I'm at a loss.....

PlEaSe can someone assist?  I cannot export my video using H.264

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

NO ... simply go to the Prefeences/Media dialog, and disable "Enable hardware accelerated encoding and decoding ... " ... then your H.264 export should be fine.

There's quite a few current threads on this, rather than going back a couple years where the users had completly different problems.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imo you should update windows before installing any program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yes run as administator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done a myriad of testing!

plenty Installations and plenty reboots in between and it still works....I then tried copying over the profile from my backup and voila!  crashes again....  So I start fiddling around with the profiles by manually clearing them completely and retesting and boom its working.  then I figure, Ok,  it must be something with my profile...and I copy the backup back again and boom its still working...So I find this strange and reboot and try again and BOOM its still working....so I wipte my profile and copy it back again and BOOM its broken....

So this led me to believe that there is nothing wrong with my profile but rather maybe something is locking the ntdll.dll file preventing adobe from accessing it.

So I am still on the hunt to see what is causing this....stay tuned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What profile exactly.

If it crashes randomly: delete and make new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The profile in my Documenta folder. It specifically says “Profile - My Name”. And yes. That’s what I’m saying is if I remove it the problem goes away and comes back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2019 Sep 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not the only!! I've been losing my — mind over this. It's bern nearly a year and Adobe is lucky that i didn't have many important time crucial projects this year. I was losing it, already tested out competition and a update came out which just for a few weeks kinda solved the issue. Now i habe 10000% the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the issue. Please reach out to Support here: https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html Also, please refrain from using profanity. We have minors here reading posts. Thanks! Kevin Monahan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I am having the same problem.  I have reinstalled Premiere and Media Encoder and have the same problem. My only solution at this point is to export videos to h.264 or h.264 Blu Ray , import into another product like Filmora, and export to h.264.   

Or use my other laptop instead,

This is ridiculous when you consider Im paying for a professional product.

I'd be keen to hear what your outcome was ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem was my project file in the profile folder.  something in there was causing the crash so I created a new project and it went away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bluesteam. Unfortunately that was one of the first solutions I tried and it didn't work.  My solution now is to use H.265 instead , which thankfully is supported by Facebook and YouTube.

And if it comes down to it, workaround by exporting it to h.265 then use another program to export that file to H.264

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2019 Sep 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

— ridiculous

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I say again: Stop using profanity or I'll be forced to ban you from the community.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the exact problem I've been experiencing.  My computer knowledge is certainly less than yours so I haven't found a fix yet.  Sorry to ask you to reiterate bluesteam but are you saying the problem is with Premiere program files not working properly/not interacting with the windows user profile correctly? Or is it just the profile folder in Documents>Adobe>Premiere Pro>(Version Number)? Do you think installing Premiere on a different drive or keeping my project files on a different drive could work? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem but dammed if if going through all that, must be another bug, come on Adobe, get on it and find us a solution.

I will use another format until there is fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2019 May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having the exact same problem. I can't believe I'm paying as much as I am for a product that doesn't do exactly what I got it for!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After hours of research, two of my experiments worked for me.

Method 1:

Turn off hardware accelerated decoding in Premiere Pro's Preferences under Media section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOUX_AkTIxI (For Reference)

Method 2:

Disabling Dedicated Graphics Driver.(Mine is Nvidia)

Go to device manager in control panel and under display adapters, disable the graphics driver.
Let me know, if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had something similar, maybe not the same hardware specs, but it had conflicts with the dual graphics as described here:

Media Encoder crash after selecting H.264

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed Sequence Settings from RED (IDK where that came from) to Custom. Then I went into export manager and I was able to change it from avi to h.264 without crashing it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After hours of research, two of my experiments worked for me.

Method 1:

Turn off hardware accelerated decoding in Premiere Pro's Preferences under Media section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOUX_AkTIxI (For Reference)

Method 2:

Disabling Dedicated Graphics Driver.(Mine is Nvidia)

Go to device manager in control panel and under display adapters, disable the graphics driver.
Let me know, if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried method 1, worked like a charm, thank you very very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem happend to me after Windows 10 last update (that's the only change that occured in my system).

Methhod 1 worked perfectly. Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Method #1 didn't work for me but #2 did. I'm thinking it's because of the newest Windows update too. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is, be careful with Method #2. If you have a low-end discrete GPU that does not support hardware encoding at all, and you have a CPU that does not have integrated Intel graphics or has integrated Intel graphics disabled, then disabling the driver will cause the system to default to fail-safe display settings (800x600 resolution or the default resolution that the graphics adapter's BIOS supports, with only 4-bit color, or 16 total colors). That will cause Premiere Pro to either fail to run properly or fail to even launch at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue before, and in the end the solution was disabling one of my graphics cards. (Although I don't know why that works. And no matter whether I chose Mecury Playback Software Only or OpenCL, it would still crash except disabling one of the graphics cards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines