Serious Performance Issues with Canon C70 Footage in PP 2022

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all.  

I've been editing C70 footage in Premiere on my Macbook Pro M1 laptop since the start of 2021.  I've never had any major problems, just the occasional dropped frame / recursion substitution error.  

Recently updated to PP 2022, latest version.  

Editing is suddenly a nightmare.  20 crashes in one night.  Massive recursion substition errors when scrubbing.    Rendering and exports horribly slow (10+ minutes for a 15 second cut!)   Major lag on any light / normal fx, resizes, etc.  Some frames go black and I have to do weird workarounds to get the clip back.  

What happened?  What can I do?  Specs / details below:

OSX Big Sur 11.1 (I know this is a bit old but I'm loathe to update OS before a project when things had been working in the past; note that updating to latest version of Big Sur -- but probably not Monterey bec ause I have my fears -- is probalby my next move to see if I can improve this) 

Current version of Premiere Pro 2022 as of May 10, 2022

M1 Macbook Pro 16GB Ram (late 2020)

Footage is mostly 4k LongGOP at 59.94fps base, slowed to 40% on a 23.98fps timeline to bring it to intended slow motion (footage is not interpreted; I have heard that Adobe devs did not design interpreting footage for this purpose)

This is frustrating because this part of my livelihood and I've had no problem with it for two years until now, but I'm hoping we can find a quick and easy solution.  Thanks very much. 

George

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Error or problem , Export , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You updated specifically from which version to which version ... ?

Trying to sort out if a reversion to previous version is an option.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'm on version 22.3.1.  

I am not sure which version I updated from.  The last time I did a serious edit on this type of footage would have been a 2021 version, though.  

Did some editing in PP2020 on GoPro Hero10 footage and it was fine, seems pretty specific to the Canon footage.  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction, PP2022 on the GoPro footage is fine is what I meant.  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FWIW I have installed Premiere 15.4.5 (2021) and it's much better. 

So I guess Canon / M1 users beware of 2022.  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines