• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SILENT PATCHING in Premiere | hidden function

Guide ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I use this function when selecting a target track on a timeline? The idea of Adobe developers is not clear at all. Explain to me 🙇‍:male_sign:

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do spaces? For what?
Do not overwrite audio or video from the source on the timeline? for what? If you can select the target tracks and copy either all together (video and audio), or remove the target track and copy only video or audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not at all sure what you mean by "silent patching" ... ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMi-bk2dAU

And you would need to quickly lock that green audio track, then you'd be able to ripple delete the still. Then of course you could unlock the audio to mod that track.

Neil

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2022-02-05 203044.png

 I mean, why is this feature needed in Premiere? there are alternative ways to differentiate the room from the source for audio and video on the timeline. What was the idea of the developers??? What did they want to achieve with this???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a slightly different behavior than with the others. The 'black' frame adds a gap, a space. Which in some workflows is a very useful thing to have. I know in a lot of  long-form editing, they know they're going to have a vfx plate or a modified clip of X length coming in for that spot later on.

Adding a specific length gap is necessary to set the rest of the work around it while awaiting that clip's arrival.

And though it's not useful for you or me (most of the time) ... what's the problem if it's there for someone who needs it?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to understand and nothing more. It is very good to know the product that you work with every day and not once and in the future I will not encounter this Premiere opportunity. I'm just curious what the idea was. It's just that there are much simpler and clearer methods for creating Gap, Spaces. That was the question. I don't see this feature as impressive and necessary even for most who might encounter it in their projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working with others in video post for near a decade now, been to NAB since 2014, and MAX since 2017 I think. Between these and other forums and hours of in-person discussions at live events, I've learned that the way we all work is endlessly varied.

One discussion at NAB had a senior editor of a large TV station and three of his assistants. All had been hired without prior training or experience in editing, and he'd taught them all. And they were quick to point out, they all worked very differently from each other. All taught by the one guy, all working together on one basic workflow process, yet they all used Pr very differently.

Like the kerfluffle recently when the engineers changed a behavior on using the Q shortcut to move the playhead ... that wasn't a use that had been designed, and the engineers knew of it but it had been to them simply a bug. They finally got time to remove it budgeted. Dropped the new release.

YOWZA ... this forum lit up. Why on earth had they destroyed the most single useful keyboard short for editing in the entre app?

I've used the Q/W keys for years for quick top/tail trimming. I didn't realize the Q key was a great way to do single-frame trims to the front of a clip, even when it was on the first frame. Prod/Support staffer Kevin Monahan had no clue either.

But ... wow, that hit a ton of people, and I can see their point ... it actually was a very useful way to do a quick 1-frame trim to the front of a clip. Fastest way possible, and most of us didn't even know it existed until the engieneers removed that behavior and some users howled.

Now, yes, I want that back. I would USE that now if it existed.

Yes, wide variability in what we can do with this app. No way really to know everything, but it's fun to learn.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just that not everyone knows and I haven't heard about this feature until recently. I have a special request for you, Neil, please convey one detail to the developers. Let them, in releases or updates, in addition to the main features, indicate just such that we, as users, know and understand what kind of tools are hidden in Premiere coloirs. On the contrary, I am very glad that there are so many functions that I try to use them whenever possible. But, since there is no awareness of what the company's engineers are up to, I simply do not know everything about hidden functions. And it would be nice to know them. Please achieve this through support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Black/Silent/Gap is not a hidden feature.

Has been around for quite some versions (at least 2013)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am aware that it was not yesterday that she was introduced to Premiere. I am now talking in general and in general. So that each new update is submitted with maximum information, and not just about new features. By the way, as Neil cites, I personally studied three huge manuals and everything became clear why the developers conceived the tool in their program. As a result of the clear presentation of the material, I have passed three exams and have three diplomas. Including color correction. Everything is clear and you use every opportunity and enjoy. In Premiere, it's not clear a damn thing if you don't climb in and dig yourself. Moreover, it is not so clearly explained in the manual about such small possibilities. Basically, everyone talks and shows about something global, but few people touch and sort out such interesting things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Baffy,

I've repeatedly pushed the Adobe folks for vastly improved documentation on the product, it's functions and capabilities and uses. Adobe documentation simply shows some capablities, but never really gets into the uses of various functions. (For comparison, go to the BlackMagic Resolve documentation and TONS of useful tutorials, just updated btw ... )

And because of that lack of information on the use of any tool, their documentation is mostly of use to give a bit of context after you've learned how to do something! Which is ridiculous.

And the people of the various product teams actually understand this, mostly. Many are highly supportive of doing so. However, they're "only" on the product team, and so have no say whatever in the planning, preparation, and choices about documentation to be made available for the users.

THAT is controlled by the all-powerful M&E people ... marketing and experience. And who exist on a plane well above us mere mortals, such as users and developers. They, the M&E people ... are all-wise, all-knowing, and possess the wondrous ability to caress data-sets of metrics to determine ... not what we users say we want, but ... what we truly, deeply ... need. Though we many not possess enough wisdom to understand how utterly wise they are. (And why their choices are actually so much better than our suggestions ... )

After pushing for better documentation, I was sent off finally to meet for live interviews with M&E staffers at NAB2019 ... on a couple different topics. An ... amazing ... experience. One learns to totally understand a bug being examined in a laboratory.

And if reading the above paragraph, you look above it and see a bit of ... ironic sarcasm, perhaps? ... well, gee ... you just might be right!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SILENT PATCHING????

for what? the rest is clear. What is its use in editing?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in what cases and for what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines