• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Simple change list for PP

Participant ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to export change lists for edits between two timelines? They compare the frame offsets for each clip between the source and destination timelines. Change List CC does exactly what I want, but it feels like a feature that should already come packaged with Premiere.

TOPICS
Editing , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Also - Matchbox :

https://www.thecargocult.nz/products/matchbox

It's not cheap, but it's brilliant 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

* export or generate change lists

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there's no internal process for that.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently not.  Just another example of how Adobe does not understand the process of professional longform editing.  And yet another reason to go back to Avid, which was designed from the begginning for professional longform editing. In fact, what I'm thinking of doing is running my two timelines though AVID, to create a change list.

There used to be a thrird-party add-on for about $200, but that's been gone for a few years now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere is being used for many professional long form documentaries and has been for many years...    Why do you need a change list?  When Avid was initially developed it was an "offline tool" that was used to generate edl's to use to recreate your edit in a tape to tape linear edit where change lists would have some value... particularly if you were going to edit from a previous edit master to make the changes rather than start from scratch.     Today, when you're outputting your complete show from within the program, doesn't seem necessary to me...  bwdik.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need to ask why change lists are needed, then you have not worked on
a big studio show.
It's not like being the one-man-band on a 90-minute low budget.

So here's your answer:
On big shows, scenes are passed down the pipeline to sound, music, and VFX
departments. Or even to a second editor, or finisher. The scenes passed
down may also be sent downstream out of sequence, wrapped or not, as
versions (1, 2, 3, by date, etc). It's a time/ scheduling issue/
multitasking.

Then for a number of reasons, >>the scene gets changed<<, and those
department staff downstream need to adjust the work >> that they already
did on the old version<<.

=> Just giving them the new EDL and expecting them to eyeball it>> isn't
efficient and leads to errors << Shows can't afford that happening on a
tight schedule, such as studio or TV work.

That's why AVID generates change lists - based on professional long-form,
studio work flow -
Avid change lists calculate all changes, at exact time codes, between the
EDL for version 1 and the EDL for version 2 -
and tells the downstream dept staff (Mx, VFX, Sound, etc) exactly what to
do, frame by frame. What and where to lift, trim, extend, add, and how
much. Also any new VFX, etc.

Adobe doesn't understand or discounts that whole scenario.

I just ran into this exact problem on the show I'm on - we need change
notes for those dept's downstream -
and now we find out - Premiere doesn't do it - never didi!

Bye Premiere - not workable for a big show, if what we have to do is run it
through Avid to create change lists.

--
“A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is
reality.”

John Lennon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just did a quick google

https://intelligentassistance.com/change-list-cc.html

Hope that helps...  may be other solutions out there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2022 Oct 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but I already posted about this earlier, in the OP's thread.
In fast, it was the 1st thing I mentioned.

I found that same link in my riginal search..

two notes -

first it's $200 - seriously? No trial?

Secondly, NO known working downloads since about 2016. NO updates since
then, either.
I'm not using a version of Premiere from 2016, are you?

And I'm not paying $200 for a download that might not work, and will waste
my time, because it has had no known updates past 2016.

So -
Obv Adobe has known about this problem at least since 2016, and not
addressed it.
Probably since they don't come from professional entertainment - they come
from digital design.

That's all very cavalier. In any case, it's sure not "customer obsessed,"
as they like to say inside Amazon.

Do better, Adobe.

--
“A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is
reality.”

John Lennon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2022 Oct 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you replying to my post from yesterday?  If so, I was referring to an adobe document from  July of this year which points you to https://exchange.adobe.com/apps/cc/104462/change-note-bot. which is free...    

I have no experience with this but might be worth you checking it out.  I don't work on feature films where there is the need for a change list, but you might want to reach out to the postproduction teams for the many major feature films which are cut on Premiere...   or not....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ListCC is out of date,  I wouldn't spend the money without a trial to see if it runs on the current Premiere.

I may try running the (before and after) project through AVID, just to create change lists.  Adobe really dropped the ball on this.  They just don't get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

every NLE has it's plusses and minuses.    but Premiere has been used on many major features...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Premiere_Pro

Wonder how they handled this issue...?

I've worked extensively in Avid, FCP1-7 and Premiere...  and each has it advantages.  Frankly, if I was working on a large project that required shared media across a large team, I'd work in Avid.   

And Premiere's integration with other parts of the creative cloud gives it advantages that are probably not as important to the type of project you're talking about.  

Are you doing research in order to decide what NLE to use on a large project or are you dealing with an issue that's come up on an ongoing project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, ya learn something every day...  (or hopefully I do).  So I've been reviewing this adobe doc since I'm in the midst of supervising a very large documentary project

https://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/en/premiere-pro/using/long-form-episodic-best-practices/jcr...

A great document...  

"Change Lists

A change list is a text file that details each change between two versions of a sequence. It is used to update the audio software’s version of the sequence if any editorial changes are made after the initial audio turnover. There is no one standard format for a change list, so make sure to work with your sound department to decide on which format and third-party change list software you will use.

While there are many paid tools for generating change lists, you can start with a simple free tool available in the Adobe Marketplace called Change Note Bot. In the Creative Cloud desktop application under Marketplace, search for plug-ins called Change Note Bot and filter by Premiere Pro. After installation you can find this plug-in in Premiere Pro by choosing Window > Extensions"

Seems like it's worth a shot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also - Matchbox :

https://www.thecargocult.nz/products/matchbox

It's not cheap, but it's brilliant 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but it needs to be on board. That's basic professional editing software design.  It's insane to expect people who are already paying for this to shell out another $650 to a third party to do this.  I just went back to AVID instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So something like Matchbox and other re-conform tools are typically used not by picture editors, but by the post depts downstream of the picture edit (i.e. dialog, sfx, composer, vfx etc) .. if your picture editor is using Premiere, all they need to supply for Matchbox to work its magic is the media and an FCPX XML file, (or with Avid, an AAF) ... it actually does a bucket-load more than just change notes - it can fix some really curly problems as well ...

https://uploads-ssl.webflow.com/5f29e4e7c9f6b6721c3d8851/5f2bae69378c8fc07fb96b74_Matchbox_LetterToT...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's a good discussion of some of the other tools here :

https://cinemontage.org/technology-new-tools-for-aligning-picture-and-sound/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been asking the same question. The problem with Adobe and Premiere is - they're not really made for professional shows. They have no idea how iportant change lists are.  That's just nuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines