• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow Performance on Preimere Pro

New Here ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having very slow and sometimes freezes when I am working on my timeline. On my previous rig, I had an i5 6th gen with 16gb of ram and 1070ti, ssd on OS and apps but HDD on working files and I can work smoothly on 1080p a tad slower on 4k but workable. Now on my new rig, I got the ryzen 3700x with 32gb ram and 1070ti, 1tb OS and APP and working files, it almost dont play on 4k and when I add file or browse the timeline sometimes it lags or freeze, worst it goes to not responding. 

I switched to ryzen for better performance. Now it seems that my old rig was workable than this new rig. Is there anything I need to optimized to get this workable? How come youtube shows this rig is quite the 4k editor as to me, I cannot even playback for 2 seconds of 4k timeline. What am I missing?

Current Rig
Ryzen 3700x
Aorus B450
32gb 3000mhz 
1070ti Windforce Gigabyte

1tb NVME 
watercooled AIO

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro relies HEAVILY on the relative performance balance between the CPU and the GPU. You upgraded the CPU without also upgrading the GPU. And what worked on your old system doesn't work as well on your new system, all because your existing old GPU is now bottlenecking your new CPU. And Premiere Pro 2020, especially, is very picky about the CPU / GPU performance balance that none of the GPUs from the previous generation is a suitable match to any current CPU. The most powerful Pascal architecture GPUs, and all other Nvidia GPUs which came before it, tend to choke badly on 4k, especially when used with a CPU that has more than four cores. It's now at this point when even the absolute lowest-model Turing GPU (a GeForce GTX 1650 GDDR6 model) far outperforms even last generation's top-end consumer GPU, the GTX 1080 Ti, in Premiere Pro.

Simply put, your new build is a perfect example of poor component budgeting: Overspending on the CPU and storage while completely neglecting the GPU or being forced to cut corners on the GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also forgot to mention that you're using a single disk for absolutely everything in that new system. Your old system had two separate internal disks. And although your single disk in your new system is an m.2 PCI-E SSD, that's still less than ideal for a video editing system. Ideally, you should have three separate SSDs in your new system.

By the way, when I first made the jump to my current 3800X from a six-year-old Intel i7-4790K back this past December, I had to make do with the same GTX 1060 6 GB card that I have had since Spring 2017, while having the exact two SATA SSDs that I have had since 2016. And while my render (and thus export) times did improve, my editing experience wasn't much better than with my old system. I did try to rectify that situation by adding a 500 GB m.2 NvME SSD, but it was my old GPU all along that's bottlenecking my new build. That was when I decided to replace that GPU with a GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER, and my editing experience improved. Finally, I replaced one of my SATA SSDs with a second 1 TB m.2 NvME SSD to complete the upgrade. My system's storage configuration, as it stands right now, is still a SATA SSD as the OS/programs drive, my 500 GB NvME for cache and scratch files, and my 1 TB NvME for projects and media.

My editing experience is back up to where I wanted it to be - at least for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally, I replaced one of my SATA SSDs with a second 1 TB m.2 NvME SSD to complete the upgrade. My system's storage configuration, as it stands right now, is still a SATA SSD as the OS/programs drive, my 500 GB NvME for cache and scratch files, and my 1 TB NvME for projects and media.

By @RjL190365

Does the change from SATA SSD to m.2 makes really make such a big – tangible and measurable – difference?

In my new workstation there was a m.2 as Win10-OS disk (and no further SSDs) and I want to upgrade it, too (using Premiere CC, which works much too slow) – but I do not want really move my OS to a SATA SSD and using the m.2 only for Premiere.

Thanks!

mycc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i'm guessing the intel had quicksync support. a lot has changed in the software/hardware since then. m.2 will only make cached peak files faster, it won't playback faster. you'll run into a cpu bottleneck way before you bottleneck a modern ssd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1tb OS and Apps and working files. That's your problem right there.

Even though that's a monster of a storage, having the working files there is not a good Idea. Working files should always be seperated from the OS/App storage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines