Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow working with NAS

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody,

I work in the video/3D department of a company and it's been one year since we started working with two NAS as we need several amount of data to storage the video files and so on as you can imagine. Problem is more and more we're experiencing really bad performances working with the NAS, being obligated sometimes to copy locally each project to be able to work on it properly and then exporting it to the NAS for storage at the end of the project.

Obviously we know that working remotely on video files demands a very fast connection (thing which we assured to have) but things don't seem to work better.

I'm writing to know if there are some common issues between Adobe Softwares and NAS - or, in general, working with big remote files. We need to understand whether that's just impossible to solve or we just need to change our workflow.

The followings are the informations about our NAS.

NAS: HMQN01

MODEL: TS-h3088xu-rp

Network Interface Card: QXG-25G2SF-CX6 - Dual-port SFP28 25GbE network expansion card; low-profile form factor; PCIe Gen4 x

Thank you so much in advance.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Export , Freeze or hang , Import , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a few things I would check. 

1.  What is the read and write speed you're actually getting from your NAS? Try copying a large video file from it to your local hard drive and then copy one back and see what actual speed you're getting. If it's very slow, then your NAS may not be performaing properly or your ethernet connection may be having issues.

2.  What is the bitrate of the footage you're using and are you doing multi-cam edits? I have a NAS that has a 2.5Gbps connection and I'm still able to edit a 4-camera multi-cam edit of 4K 10-bit 150Mbps footage from it. It does take longer for the projects to load, but once they're loaded, it performs fine.

3.  Have you recently upgraded to Premiere Pro v23 or 23.1? I had issues with multi-cam edits causing Premiere to lag or stop responding after I upgraded. I downgraded back to version 22.6.3 and it's working fine, so might be something to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The write and read speed runs on 11 mb/s on average. We will definetely check if our connection is having issues. 

We don't usually do multi-cam edits so often, mostly projects with dynamic links between Premiere and After Effects.

We will try also downgrading to an older version of Premiere to check if that makes things a bit better.

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying 11Mbps or 11MBps? Both are very slow (the latter is about the speed of USB 2.0). You need to look into what's causing such a slow transfer speed. Could be your NAS needs to be reformatted/reinitialized or you're having some issue with the network connection itself. If you're using standard platter hard drives in your NAS, you should be seeing transfer speeds of over 170MBps, and possibly over 200MBps, depending on the hard drives and the NAS setup. If you're using SSD drives, your transfer speeds could be 400MBps or more, again, depending on the specific drives and NAS setup. A QXG-25G2SF-CX6 - Dual-port SFP28 25GbE is extremely fast and should work just fine as long as there's not some other hardware issue.

Make sure the computers you're using to connect to the NAS also have a 25GBps network card, or at the very least a 2.5Gbps card. If they only had a 100Mbps network card, for instance, that's the top speed you would get. The client computers have to also have a fast network connection. The transfer speed will drop to whatever is the slowest link in the chain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, you've been very helpful! I will contact the IT department to let them know about all these infos and check with them what we can do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, Shaun's assistance is great ... NAS is often setup by IT folk who set things for "optimal" document work. As in spreadsheets, pdf and Word files, that type of document.

Which is absolutely not tenable for video production. So the operating methods & actual speeds need checking.

Second ... ALL machines should be set to create all cache files on the local machine, do NOT put cache files on that NAS!

In fact, you'll get better performance often with cache files on a local Nvme SSD drive than a local spinning drive.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly as you said, it seems NAS is not set up at all for video production right now. We definitely won't put cache files on it but locally.

Thank you so much Neil.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey, sorting this stuff out is always a pain, right?

I know colorists with massive "heavy metal" setups where the computer is in the computer room seventy feet from their colorist suited. With massive separate storage and media RAID setups, and then connections to the Company stuff on a server system a couple floors away.

Yea, that takes some serious sorting & planning.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines