Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Smaller Video Size

Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see a lot of posts about a smaller video size and here's what I have: 

I am putting two videos together, both are about the same here:

File Size: 683.61 MB, Image Size: 1920 x 1080, Frame Rate: 60.00, Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - Compressed - Stereo, Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo, Total Duration: 00:55:39:00, Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0, Alpha: None, Video Codec Type: MP4/MOV H.264 4:2:0

Now, all I did was trim about 4 minutes out of these two and merge them together into one video of about 1 hour and 40 minutes.  Like everyone before, it's creating a file that is 6.86GB in size... so pretty much 500% larger.  I have about 70 of these that literally need one quick edit... but 70x500% means I'll be in the Terabyte range of space before I'm even halfway done here.

I brought the bit rate down from variable and 48 to Constant and 10 and that cut it from 6.93GB to its current 6.86GB... so not a lot...

My export settings are:

1920x1080 (1.0) 60fps, progressive, Software Encoding, CBR, Target 10.00Mbps, AAC, 320 kpbs, 48 kHz, Stereo.

Any ideas here? And to Adobe:  Can we get a "export out at the same size" button someday since I went through at least five of these threads (And tried them to no avail).  Thanks!

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021
You cannot export the same size here (at least not in the available presets), in this case. The total bitrate of your video is only about 1.6 Mbps - that's about six times lower than your project's bitrate! And depending on your encoder, you cannot manually set a video bitrate below the preset's minimum. And there is absolutely no way around this at all: Adobe's (and MainConcept's, which the Adobe encoder is based on) H.264 encoder will always re-encode everything no matter what.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a lot of potential avenues here, but for a start, try using VBR with a lower target, instead of CBR. CBR will use 10Mbps, even when it doesn't need to. VBR, will ramp up when the video content requires it, then ramp down when it doesn't. Dpeending on your content, this can dramatically decrese your file sizes.

What type of content is in your video clips?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot export the same size here (at least not in the available presets), in this case. The total bitrate of your video is only about 1.6 Mbps - that's about six times lower than your project's bitrate! And depending on your encoder, you cannot manually set a video bitrate below the preset's minimum.

And there is absolutely no way around this at all: Adobe's (and MainConcept's, which the Adobe encoder is based on) H.264 encoder will always re-encode everything no matter what.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think this is it.  I guess since the default setting is 40Mbps, I was figuring 10Mbps was really really small... but really it's 1.6Mbps that is the answer! Wow... So... what's the significance of 40Mbps?  Is that 8K resolution?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines