• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Speech to text - Speed up transcript?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I were to speed up a video clip by 103-105%, is there a way to speed up the captions/trasncript to match the increased speed of the clip without having to do it manually?

TOPICS
Editing , Export , Import , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

I believe all you have to do is retranscribe the sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe all you have to do is retranscribe the sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah - I'm trying to avoid re-transcribing if I can. The topic is pretty high-brow (Synthetic Biology), so there's quite a bit of highfalutin' PhD vocab in the piece and would require a lot of "find-and-replace" (for a second time around! ONCE was hard enough! Ha-ha!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh, sorry. I don't know if it's possible. The transcribe function is still fairly new, so I don't think it works like that yet. It makes sense and it would be great if the transcription would match edits made to the clip, such as speed changes (that's one I haven't tried myself). My issue was, I needed to make cuts in the clip after transcribing, but the transcription didn't change. The words I took out were still there, and when I play back, the pace of the words (including the ones I already edited out) no longer matched the timeline.

I think this is where we take it to uservoice. If you request it there, and put a link here, I'll happily upvote it. Hopefully others will also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried adding the same speed change to your caption "clip" on the caption track?

Maybe you would have to nest the captions first and then change the speed of the nest?

So, if you independently changed the speed of both your video clip and captions, maybe they would still match.

Caveat: I've never had to do this, so it's just a thought experiment for me. Don't know if it actually works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea! I will give it a shot after the afternoon staff meeting!! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good brain storming. But the Caption track in PR 2021/2022 is not a video track (as it was in PR 2020 and earlier), so can't have speed changes. Yes, you can nest it and change it there, but they are no longer captions. That is only useful if you are burning in.

I would export srt, take it to Subtitle Edit (PC only), which allows making adjustments by percentage.

Synchronization -> Adjust speed in percent. Options there include Custom percent, From drop frame, to drop frame. Also, you can pick "All lines" or only "selected lines."

Then save as srt and import back to PR as a new Caption track.

Let us know. I don't  recall anyone asking this for the new caption workflow.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D'oh! Unfortunately, I work in a department of Mac folks - PC is not an option.  Thank you for your reply!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(It's too bad ... They are perfectly in sync in their nested timeline! Just no export option for captions! So close!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Someone mentioned a Mac app recently:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/auto-caption-subtitle-duration-too-long-non-...

I found this by the search "subtitle adust by percentage mac":
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/subshifter-fix-subtitles-srt/id1477504107

Let us know if you find a way to make this work.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines