Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

.SRT file fonts and styles does not carry over to Vimeo cc upload?

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently captioned a video in Chinese, and had to use a simplistic font for it to be readable. I exported an .srt file, then went to Vimeo to upload the close caption file to the video. The two fonts are different and the one on Vimeo is really hard to read and bold. Not like how I exported it at all. I am using the new 2021 Premiere captioning feature (15.4.1). Am I missing something? Is this an export issue with Premiere or an import issue with Vimeo?

Similarly,  I had to caption something in Spanish, and I exported the Spanish .srt file and uploaded to Vimeo and it all turned out to be in English. How does that even work!

captions chinese vimeo.PNGcaptions chinese.PNG

TOPICS
Export, Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

While srt files MAY carry styling information, a) PR exports relatively little even if styling options are elected and b) many platforms do not "see" some types of styling in them. And in any event, the user's viewing settings may override what you upload. There are PR sidecar types that carry more styling information.

"Simplistic font" suggests you set a particulart font. If you open the srt file in a text editor, I think you will find that there is no information regarding what font is to be used.

Here's all I see for Vimeo help:
https://vimeo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/224968828-Captions-and-subtitles

Note this in particular:

Vimeo supports the following captions and subtitles file formats: SRT, WebVTT, DFXP/TTML, SCC, and SAMI files, but we recommend using WebVTT whenever possible. We also recommend encoding your caption files in UTF-8 format. Otherwise, captions that contain special characters may not display properly during playback.​

Youtube includes more information about its platform:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2734698?hl=en#zippy=%2Cbasic-file-formats%2Cadvanced-file-...

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines