• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.srt file with Chinese subtitles cannot be displayed properly in Premiere Pro 2023

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

here's my scenario:

I use the automatic transcription function in Premiere Pro 2023 and export the English transcription afterwards as .srt file. My Chinese colleague does the translation into Simplified Chinese directly in the .srt file and the file looks perfectly fine when I open it with TextEdit with the suitable encoding settings. But when I import the file into Premiere all the Chinese letters are displayed as *. I tried out all different caption settings and fonts in Premiere but without any success. When I do it the other way round and copy+paste the Chinese text from the .srt file to a caption track in Premiere it works without any issues and displays the Chinese letters properly. I have attached some screenshots as well. Thanks a lot for your help! Dominik

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export , Formats , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dominik,

What file type is your srt? srt import can have issues based on the type of file it is saved as: non-English languages should import correctly using UTF-8 with BOM. But I've seen other recommendations.

This might be a font issue, but I would expect blocks, not asterisks, for missing characters. Is the font applied the same whether you import or paste?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan, Thanks a lot for your answer. I've been able to fix it in the meantime. I saved the .srt file with the software called "Brackets" again and then it worked out. I just used the encoding UTF-8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2024 Jan 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Stan - Hi, since you seem to be the expert: Our DVD company is using Adobe Encore (circa 2012 they said) and trying to author a DVD of our film. We'd sent him an .srt file with Chinese (simplified) that we know looks good in .txt and also works fine in Vimeo. But as he's getting blocks every other character or so. Is there a solution to this? Are there upgraded fonts for Adobe Encore he should be using? Any other fixes or workarounds? thanks!!  - Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines