Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stop Snapping to end of Cross Dissolve

Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

When I'm dragging a clip around the timeline, it will snap to the beginning/end of a cross dissolve rather than to the beginning/end of a clip.

Does anyone know how to stop the clip snapping to the cross dissolve? I don't know why anyone would want this, and when my timeline is zoomed out, I often can't tell this has happened.

Small thing, but would save me a lot of time, and add more of a sense of safety that everything is lined up nicely.

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 11.23.36 AM.png

(latest versions of Mac OS and Premiere)

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

I think you'll need to make a feature request:

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify: you want to maintain snapping but have snapping ignore the starts and ends of effects?

Or do you want to turn off snapping all together?

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still want the snapping, but for it to ignore dissolves (or any effect that spans two clips).

Thanks for helping clarify,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you'll need to make a feature request:

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK thanks,

I sent it.

It's just one of those problems that is just a minor annoyance to a lot of people, but not critical enough for anyone to write to them (I'm guessing).

I refuse to believe that other people aren't suffering the same anguish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

snap playhead.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No that's not it Ann, this is about the end of clips snapping to the end of other clips (rather than to the end of a cross dissolve effect),

Thanks for the reply though (and Jim).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually prefer that it snaps to the effects starts and stops, but iit certainly seems like it could be a user choosable preference setting.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting Meg. C

an I ask why you prefer to snap to effects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because I consider the starts and stops of effects to be events on the timeline - equal in importance to cut points - that I want help finding and aligning to via snapping.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, maybe it's less universal a problem than I thought.

I use a lot of transitions (audio and dissolves) so it acts really clunky when I want to move a clip (which Premiere on the whole is the opposite of clunky most of the time).

I also work on long timelines so to zoom in twice every time I want to place an adjustment layer or piece of b-roll gets annoying.

And I get why you would want to 'find' the edge of a dissolve (kinda) but in practicality, I can't figure out why you would want this situation (leaving a tiny gap where the transition is:

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 12.30.48 PM.png

Anyway I'll shut up now and keep my fingers crossed for the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I was placing and trimming the Adjustment layer in this situation, I would drag the end of the Adjustment layer to the right past the end of the clips below it, then slowly drag it back to the left till it snapped.

But I'm all in favor of everyone editing they way they want, so as long as it's a user selectable option hope you get the functionality added.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I refuse to believe that other people aren't suffering the same anguish

I can't speak for other editors but...I don't find this to be a problem at all.  I want every edge in the timeline 'snapable'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Snapping is either on or off, there is no fine control to choose what gets snapped and what doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2020 and it looks like it's still not a feature.

-please make a feature to at least avoid audio transitions.

*super annoying when you're editing something with a ton of audio cuts + constant power.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love this Feature!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree with you, would love this feature. My adjustment layers are often off by a few frames because they cut to the cross dissolve rather than the clip ends. It would make sense to allow your snaps to only apply to certain tracks, and ignore audio tracks for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post that here, where the Adobe engineers read all threads:
https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dec 2022 and would love this to be solved, it's a constant annoyance for me.

Any updates? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Any updates? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines