• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Strange Voiceover Audio Issue. Mono vs. Stero Clip Channel Format?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having some strange audio issues when recording a voiceover in Premiere Pro. I'm using Premiere Pro 2023 with all of the latest software updates.

For some reason when I record a voiceover, the audio file comes out in mono clip channel format and the audio only plays through one speaker. All of my previous projects the voiceover audio file would come out as a stereo clip channel format.

The issue isn't with my microphone as I tested with both my regular external microphone and my built-in computer microphone and the issue still remains.

Please check out this screen share video for a visual. Thank you!

https://www.loom.com/share/4afbf38b3d2740f392a443ce53325e74

TOPICS
Audio , Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your sequence prefs set to for audio?

How was this sequence created? As if it was created with a clip with mono audio, then the sequence would automatically be mono unless your prefs say all stereo or adaptive or whatever.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, my sequence preferences are attached.

The audio I'm talking about is a voiceover audio file (no video) so it's created from scratch, not created from another clip.

I feel like it has something to do with my audio hardware and input/output but I can find anything out of the ordinary in that section. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2022 Dec 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have an 8 channel master sequence, is that what you need? 

What type of audio track (standard, mono, adaptive) is your reccording track?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need 8 channels because I do lots of audio sound design so yes I believe so.

For the type of audio track for the voiceover, it's coming out as mono which is the issue. I think it needs to be standard/stereo which is what it was usually like up until this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need 8 channels because I do lots of audio sound design so yes I believe so.

By @mikewilltravel

The symbol you are referring to in the video is the symbol that shows that the audio track is a Mono track. If you record voice over on a Mono track, the voice over will be Mono. Create a Stereo track and record the voice over on that track if you want Stereo.

Stereo audio can never be placed on a Mono track, thats why you get Mono audio now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for letting me know. How do I create a stereo track and record a voiceover in stereo format? I'm not sure how it got changed to mono. I think it's something in my audio and input/output settings. I need it so when I record a voiceover it automatically comes out as a stereo track. I don't want to record in mono and then convert or change it to stereo or anything weird. Stereo from the beginning. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I create a stereo track and record a voiceover in stereo format?

By @mikewilltravel

Sequence > Add Tracks is one way to do it.

Good to know is that once a Mono track is created you cannot change it back to Stereo and vice versa, so if you want to add more tracks such as music that is in true stereo compared to a voice over that is mono it may be time to create a new timeline with the correct track type such as Standard and copy the material from the old timeline to the new. It depends on your needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why you want to record a mono microphone on a stereo track, just record it on a mono track and use the trackmixer panpot to make the signal in the 'centre'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not from the Preferences, where the options for what types of audio you want to have moved through your project are set.

Preferences/Audio ... would be the panel I'd like to see.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, see attached. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-12-18 at 11.15.51 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, confirming this issue has been resolved now and I've been able to add a new stereo voiceover track from scratch. Thanks for your help all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Richard and Averdahl are great helpers around here ... though like Richard, I'm curious why you need stereo for a VO track ... I don't know of most anyone doing that, so ... the differences are always intriguing, right?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines