Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stuttering and lag when doing cross dissolve on beast computer

Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, guys! 

I have a question concerning the cross dissolve or transition features. I'm on an RTX4090, i9 13900K computer with 32BG DDR5 RAM, and Premiere Pro is installed on and SSD, the same are the videos I import. The videos are all in 4K. I am wondering why the playback starts stuttering or becoming super choppy when I add cross dissolve to clips? I figure such a powerful computer shouldn't have any issues with this. Is there something that could fix it?

I appreciate any help! 

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the media you're using? That can make a big difference. Intraframe codecs like ProRes, Cineform, and DNxHD/R play back much better normally than H.264/long-GOP interframe codecs like most mp4 and phone clips.

And, 32GB of RAM is a good start ... decent. But not a beast. I don't even consider my 128GB to be "beastly".

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Neil! Thank you for commenting. I'm using MP4 footage caught by Nvidia Shadowplay, don't know where to tell if it's H.264 or not but since it's a common standard I guess it could be that. Concerning the RAM, are you saying I could do well with upgrading that as well? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Considering your GPU, the RAM looks low. You try to balance the hardware to the usage of the app, and Premiere is a bit CPU/RAM centric.

I think 64 would be noticeable for many effects.

Do you have the H.264 encode/decode preferences on?

I don't know how much H.264 hardware your rig has though. There are others here that know that stuff better than I.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know where to see if I have the H.264 encode/decode preference on. Should I have it on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turns out yes I have it on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 09, 2023 Apr 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@RjL190365 is the user here with the best knowledge on H.264/5 hardware capabilities.

For many rigs, simply creating intraframe proxies is the best workaround.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines