Until now, I've always edited on my primary workstation so have never used proxies. Now I'm involved in a film project where using my laptop to work on the project is essential to meeting our deadline.
However, I'm troubled by the fact that Adobe Premiere (via Encoder) renders the entire source file for every subclip proxy it creates. That means a source clip that is, for example, 30 minutes long is rendered - in its entirety - for each subclip I create. This is a HUGE slowdown in my progress.
Two questions: Why can't Premiere simply use the proxy file from the original source clip for ALL the subclips? Why does it need to create an actual proxy file for subclips? Secondly, why must it render the ENTIRE source clip for EACH subclip proxy file?
You don't need to create a proxy for subclips. However, the order in which you make your subclips vs when you attach your proxies does matter.
If you bring in your media, then create subclips, then create proxies, your subclips will not reference the source proxies.
if you bring in your media, attach/create proxies, THEN create subclips from the media with proxies attached, the subclips will correctly reference the source attached proxy.
Unfortunately, I was well into this project before deciding to use proxies
I was just playing around with this in a new timeline, try this:
select your subclips - right click - Proxy - reconnect full resolution media - select original source file.
You may have to do this multiple times but it might be very easy using the Media Browser
Hmm. The only effect this had for me was to rename my subclip to that of the source file, making things even more confusing.
Ahh sorry about that watkino1. I did some more testing, it looks like if you go to your subclips, right click - Proxy - Attach Proxies.
Then select the full proxy for the source clip of the subclip.
That was the first thing I tried when I got started. Unfortunately, the subclip content is incorrect.
I have the same problem... i´ve made all the subclips - with the original image and up to 6 external mics- and then i realize i´ll need to edit with proxies... i´m working on a short movie, so is not a lot of material... my original media has a .mov extention so...
i will try this solution
I will make proxies of all the original media in h264 (.mp4 files), then move the original media to a "original media" subfolder and after that, eliminate de "_proxy" word of the proxies files... and relink in premiere to this "new" files...
For the final export (and then color correct, etc), i will delete the proxies files and return the original media to it original location and relink again...
I´ve try with one clip and it worked... hope not to make a mess... but it´s the solution i thought...