• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Subclips inconsistent behavior; not always working correctly in Premiere Pro CC

Engaged ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I load a clip into the Source panel.  I set in and out points and then CTRL + U to create a subclip.  I have "Restrict Trim to subclip boundaries" turned off.  (Thank you Adobe, I've been waiting for "soft" subclips forEVER!)  The new subclip appears in my Project panel with the correct name and duration (as well as a white audio icon to indicate that it has not yet been used in my project).  Now, I drag that subclip into my sequence.  But the entire clip (a 5 minute interview), from which the subclip was derived, is loaded onto the timeline.

This has been working correctly for the last hour, and now it has stopped working.  It appears that for the moment, subclipping is dead to me. 

Help?!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2016 Apr 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue as described by SE11. Using the latest version of PP CC on fully patched Windows 10.

My audio was recorded in-camera so it's not an issue with files that have synced video and audio in post.

The first 5-6 subclips loaded normally when I pressed the comma key. After that point, that approach consistently inserts the entire original clip instead of the subclip. The portion from the original video that is *not* in the subclip renders as a black screen in the program output and with a cross-hatch pattern in the timeline panel.

The workaround is that everything works fine for me when I drag the subclips to the timeline, just not when I use the comma shortcut or press the insert button in the source panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2016 Aug 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a longstanding issue. I haven't been able to find any solution other than the one to which you referred (dragging and dropping instead of keyboard shortcuts). I haven't even seen anyone from Adobe actually address this issue.

I'd be interested as well to hear from someone regarding this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2016 Mar 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem as well.  An hour ago, inserting subclips into Timeline worked, and now when I insert them, the entire clip is inserted. 

I reset my preferences, restarted PP and same problem.  Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2016 Apr 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the problem as well.  The sub clip looks fine in the project window, but shows up in the source window or timeline as the entire clip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2016 Apr 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a related problem, but can't seem to find any exact answer.  Everything is so inconsistent, and because I am a relative newbie, I cant tell if I am not using the product correctly, or there really is a bug.  I am making subclips from merged audio/video clips.  From some of the clips, I am making multiple subclips.  But for some of the subclips, the Hi Quality Audio does not come over, only the reference audio, which is really weird since I ticked the box that said "ignore reference audio".  Does anyone else have this problem?  Is it not correct to make multiple subclips from merged clips?

Thanks very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2016 Apr 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been stuck on Adobe's Tech. Help trying to address this issue as well...

Load in separate audio and video

I merge them.

Merge clip works fine with in and out points in place.

I make a subclip from the merged file and it won't let me drag onto the timeline... Anyone else having the same issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2016 Aug 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is unbelievable. Adobe, I generally understood you to have a stellar reputation for software, and I know the Premiere Team has been working to bring over FCP7 refugees, but WOW this is a huge, glaring issue with your software. Subclip management is one of the most important functions for most working filmmakers, and as far as I've been able to tell your development team has completely ignored this glaring issue for LITERALLY YEARS.

It's cute that you're making apps for smartphones and stuff, but how about you get your desktop software's basic functions working first before making apps to turn my vacation photo of the Eiffel Tower into a vector image on my Android, eh?

😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No response from Adobe. Just updated to 2017. Same bloody problem. Incredibly tight deadline with a workflow that I designed around subclips and this pretty basic feature only to discover on this tread it hasn't worked properly for years. ADOBE, take the frigging feature out of your bloody software if you can't be stuffed fixing it. Scumbags.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it is time we all started thinking about migrating to Davinci Resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've migrated my quick edits to FCPX, unbelievably. I have zero idea how to accomplish the same things, but at least all the features I do use work as advertised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given Adobe have zero interest apparently in addressing this I'll post this work around. I'm sure people running into this problem are dealing with similar scenarios re: how footage was shot - separate sound and vision cause it was shot on a DSLR. Take all your sound and vision for the interview and whack it in a sequence. Synchronize the clips within the sequence. Cut the redundant audio from the camera out. Make your cuts within the sequence, select the cut in the sequence, then hit shift U to make a subsequence. Rename the subsequence as you please. These seem to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick word of warning though - those subsequences are the equivalent of "hard" subclips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davidb75937557 wrote:

Maybe it is time we all started thinking about migrating to Davinci Resolve.

I switched to DaVinci Resolve about a year ago and haven't regretted it for a minute. Most of the few gripes I had about it were addressed in the next two updates. I was actually compiling a list of improvements I would like to see for a blog post (as I am wont to do), but I scrapped it after Blackmagic knocked more than half of them off the list before I even had a chance to publish it. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's clearly being developed by perfectionists. With Blackmagic, you get the feeling that they not only listen to user feedback, but that they are are actually capable of identifying flaws themselves. You know, through testing!

Meanwhile, Adobe fails to fix so many exasperating problems year after year, you start to wonder if they ever actually use their own software. I'm being facetious, of course, but I first reported that subclips were broken more than 3 years ago. My list of other unresolved gripes stands at more than 50, going back to 2011. I was feeling really good about Premiere after the release of CS6 back in 2012, because it was a rather successful attempt to make Premiere more FCP7-like, but years later PrP stills feels like the first release of a promising, yet very unrefined, NLE. Side note: Premiere was first released in 1991!

I feel I should add that the actual Adobe people that I have interacted with directly have been forthright, knowledgeable, and even gracious in the face of criticism, but I have completely soured on Creative Cloud for more reasons than I care to add.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The first thing I noticed about Davinci when I started using it was that the 4k playback absolute destroys premiere. That is a big deal and yet another of the things that Adobe just simply seem to refuse to address - a tough one but also an absolutely fundamental one. Adobe are not big on fundamentals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines