• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Subclips inconsistent behavior; not always working correctly in Premiere Pro CC

Engaged ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I load a clip into the Source panel.  I set in and out points and then CTRL + U to create a subclip.  I have "Restrict Trim to subclip boundaries" turned off.  (Thank you Adobe, I've been waiting for "soft" subclips forEVER!)  The new subclip appears in my Project panel with the correct name and duration (as well as a white audio icon to indicate that it has not yet been used in my project).  Now, I drag that subclip into my sequence.  But the entire clip (a 5 minute interview), from which the subclip was derived, is loaded onto the timeline.

This has been working correctly for the last hour, and now it has stopped working.  It appears that for the moment, subclipping is dead to me. 

Help?!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2016 May 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin! Have you guys over at Adobe figured out SE11​'s issue? I'm having the exact same problem and seems like a lot of others do to.

Thanks / Per

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 13, 2013 Nov 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still a problem in 7.1. Unfortunately, the subclips I created (from merged clips) maintained the proper in/out points initially. I specifically tested them because I've had this problem before. I say “unfortunately” because I went ahead and used subclips to break down a long series of interviews, since subclips seemed to be holding. Now I've discovered that none of the subclips have retained any of the edit points I set. The entire clip plays (or most of it anyway, with seemingly random variations). It should be noted that some of the tracks did contain audio that started before the picture.

That's a day I would like to have back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2013 Dec 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also struggling with this problem. Now I am prerendering the clips. Are there any news when it is going to be fixed or over workarounds?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2013 Dec 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I caught a rumor of a December update, but no data on what will be included.  (Or even if it's for PP.  It may be an AE update only.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue detailed so nicely in Post #7 is fixed in the CC7.2 update. Thanks again to thepossibility for the great report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sweet - no worries Mark.

Always a pleasure to help when you know you'll be listened to!

Merry Christmas!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2014 Jan 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same bug with the 7.2.1 version.

The video is working but I cannot listen to the audio in my merged clips, the audio in the timeline is color gray, like if is not detecting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 14, 2014 Oct 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And with version 8.1…subclips are still completely messed up. If I double-click on a clip in the timeline that came from a subclip, the source window displays the wrong portion of the clip with no way to move the playhead to the correct portion. And I mean no way to move it. It's stuck. You can't drag it. Hitting play causes the very beginning of the original clip to play, but the playhead still doesn't move. It's so completely buggy, it's hard to describe or even figure out what it's doing exactly. There's a weird gray bar that doesn't accurately signify anything. If I zoom the source window timeline out as far as it goes, I can see the markers for the in and out points of the subclip, but there is no way to get the playhead to them. If I make any attempts to adjust the in out points or create new ones, it goes completely wonky. The points don't correspond to anything visible.

I’ve lost track of the number of time I thought subclips were fixed only to lose hours work when I realized all the subclips I created were useless. I realize that I should just give up on using them, but if they worked, they sure would be useful.

Arghh. What I don't understand is that it's no even close to working properly. It's not some minor flaw that could go un-noticed. It wouldn't surprise me if it's a Mac-only bug, since there are an awful lot of those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 15, 2014 Oct 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dax,

I tested out the Subclips feature in 8.1 and had some issues with a project I updated. I created a brand new project and markers are behaving as expected. Are you testing with a new project?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Kevin, for the reply. This is a new project, created after the latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem: subclips from merged clips cannot be edited correctly. Also, my "Audio" synch option stopped working after we installed the new ppro 2014 version (along with many other weird bugs). We had to go back to the 7.2.2 version, and after finding out that we can't work with markers (because they can't save notes on merged clips), we logged everything with subclips and now these don't work either. Extremely annoying. I'm wondering: Is it such an unusual workflow to merge audio and video before editing? And is there still no workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi onon111,

Is this a project you updated or is this a brand new project you're having problems with?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2014 Oct 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey kevin, thanks for the reply as well. the project was never used on ppro2014, if that's what you mean by updated.

after we updated to ppro2014 and all the bugs appeared, we uninstalled everything, cleaned with adobe cleaner and went back to ppro7.2.2. but I tested everything (mergeing and subclipping) on a brand new project and it's the same problem there.

our case was in technical support for weeks with no result, so I have no idea if this is caused by the app or our system...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2015 Mar 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem currently. I started a new project. I have Clips that are ProRess 422 merged with external audio. I was creating subclips of a longer piece of footage after merging it. When I double click on the subclip, it comes up as it should. However, when I drag it into the timeline, it shows up with the right duration, but the start time is just the begining of the clip, not the in point I marked.

Please help! I spent hours creating subclips, only now to find out that it was for nothing.

I also tried making subclips of NOT merged clips and it worked just fine.

If I can't get any help on this, I am going to export the long pieces of footage w/ the merged audio to create one clip with the video and audio I want. I will then relink the footage in the project, hopefully tricking it into thinking it isn't a merged clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, JLind.  Adobe doesn't think this is a problem.  I can't blame them, if they can't reproduce it.  My solution was to stop making Subclips.  Not a great solution, I know.  This bug has radically changed the way I edit video since 2013.  Subclips is simply not an option for me, when, as you correctly state, I could spend hours merging and creating subclips only to find out they don't work.  On a bright note, Audio Sync seems to be working *sometimes* now since 8.01.  So I use that to merge clips, but I just don't create subclips.

For a long interview (one that I used to chop up into subs), I use extensive clip markers to mark all of my key sound bytes.  I then use my marker window in a fashion similar to using a bin of subclips.  I find what I need, mark in and out and then throw it on the timeline.  Ideal?  No.  But it's become the norm for me for the last two years.

Now, if only clicking on a marker in the marker bin would set focus on that clip in the source bin...  We don't live in a perfect world.  Though it's not a super experience, the advantages of Premiere still outweigh the many bugs, so for now I stick with it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that is strange. I put in a call to them as well. Maybe something will change this time around.

I found a work around as well. Kinda tedious but for what I was doing it worked well. I titled my subclips by question asked in the interview then made a new sequence from each one. I then copied and pasted the in/out points from my subclips to the original piece of footage (click on subclip, copy time code of in-point, click on original footage, copy timecode, then do the same for the out point) and put those clips into each sequence by itself. Now at least I know what I am looking at besides just "Interview 1." Definitely some draw backs, but again, it works for what I need it to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2015 Mar 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also been experiencing issues with subclips. I hadn't used them much until a large project I'm working on. I have more than 45 interviews that I've spent a long while going through and creating subclips, all of them with merged audio. When I open the subclip by itself in the Source monitor, it plays correctly. I cannot find a way to add it to the timeline without it moving to a complete new section of the original clip or the entire clip. I can't believe there's been a bug in the mix for over a year and a half with something as common as subclips and merged audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 22, 2015 Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similiar to Brendyeah, I am having the same inconsistent behavior with merged Subclips in CC 2014 latest patches on OSX. Brand new project. I create a subclip from a Merged video, when I drag it onto the timeline it's the entire clip, not the subclip, plus it has the red time markers on the edges of the clips (something no other Subclip has).

I need to get this job out the door so I can't spend time screwing with it. I'll just have to render the merged clips and re-import them as files so Subclips work properly. Seeing as this bug report was filed oh, 2 years ago, I won't hold my breath for a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2015 Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is absolutely not a fix, but I found a work around that was faster than exporting and re-importing. Open the merged clip in the Source Monitor and set the in and out points within that window. You should be able to overwire/insert into the timeline using the keyboard shortcuts. I found mine glitched when I set the first point; it would zoom in on the Source Monitor's timeline. Zooming back out and setting the other point had no issues.

Again, insert or overwrite after BOTH points are set within the merged clip on the Source Monitor. Not ideal, but faster than rendering and importing.

I almost had to tell a client that a project was going to take twice as long, but the above workaround saved me from that. I'm saddened that Adobe has ignored a common problem for so long, but at least it's not completely useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2015 Aug 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using CC 2015 latest version and this is STILL an issue. It's pretty pathetic. I thought they wanted this to be a professional tool? I hate getting those nostalgic feelings for FCP7. I want a modern editing system, but don't include features that don't work. Especially a feature that let's you organize hours and hours of footage and then have that organizing been worthless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2016 Jan 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is now January 2016 and I just installed Premiere Pro CC 2015.2 (9.2.0 41 Build), and am having this issue.

Hard subclips will import into the timeline properly, matching the in and out.  But soft subclips will import the entire clip into the timeline.  This problem occurs if I use the comma keyboard shortcut OR the Insert button on the Source panel OR right click and select Insert (or overwrite).  Basically any of the Insert or Overwrite commands trigger the problem.

However, if I use the mouse and drag the subclip from the Source panel to the timeline, the subclip transfers properly, respecting the In and Out markers.

So in my case, the issue appears to be with the Insert and Overwrite commands from the source window, including the keyboard shortcuts.  For some reason the issue does not occur when I use the mouse.

I'm interested to know if anyone else can reproduce these symptoms.  I'm open to suggestions, as the keyboard shortcuts are so much more convenient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2016 Jan 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested Subclips on a different machine, also running Premiere Pro CC 2015.2 (9.2.0 41 Build) and am able to reproduce the issue, with the same symptoms.

Created a brand new project, imported a video file, created two soft subclips from the same clip.  If I press comma from the Source window, the full 39 second clip is inserted into the timeline.  If I use my mouse to drag from the Source to the timeline, the 6 second subclip is properly inserted into the timeline.

So soft subclips do appear to work, but it appears that there is a bug with the Insert and Overwrite commands in the Source window that is causing them to improperly handle soft subclips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would just like to confirm what SW11 has experienced. I am having the exact same problem and will appreciated it very much of adobe will fix up the bug.

Is their a nice workaround this problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2016 Apr 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday morning I had tech. support trying to help me with the issue. They saw the issue within the project file and we made a new project file and couldn't recreate the issue.

Since it was at the early stages of the project, I created a new project file and the issue has seemed to resolve itself.

HOWEVER - I am now a couple hours into work and the problem is back. I've created a new project file and imported the old project into it and it's still not working. This is extremely frustrating as subclipping is a BASIC function from an NLE. I am not doing anything complicated, just merging a clip with some audio then attempting to subclip...

Anyone else find a workaround with this? Seems like Adobe is quite useless on this issue and doesn't care, but I fee like this is an essential feature of a NLE that should work without issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines