• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Subtitle SRT export incomplete - only 42 subtitles exporting (instead of ~700)

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Community! I did a lot of work on about 10 subtitle tracks in Premiere v15.0 and now I need to export them to SRT files. Some tracks are working fine, but others are exporting only the first 42 subtitles. When I export to TXT, all the subtitle text exports, but without timecodes (which defeats my current purpose). Can anybody help?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Bug (feature?) identified - Premiere doesn't like empty subtitle events (subtitles with no text in them, or even subtitles with just a space in them). It will export the SRT with all the subtitles in the timeline up until the blank subtitle and call it a day.

Solution - don't include empty subtitle events if you want to export a usable SRT file.

Suggested upgrade/bug fix - the empty events were there intentionally as placeholders for temp VFX or titles that might require subtitles in our workflo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each problem file is exporting exactly 42 subtitles? I don't recall anyone else reporting this problem.

Have you tried exporting from both the Text Panel (3 dots) and from the Export Media Window (Captions Tab).

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some are exporting 42, others 48. I have tried both approaches to exporting the subtitles -- Text Panel and Export Media Window. All subtitle files were created the same way in another tool, exported as SMPTE XML, imported into Premiere, edited in a timeline, and exported as SRT. I can't find any pattern to why this is happening, and clearly the data is there since the TXT export from the Text Panel includes all the subtitle text for the problem languages. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bug (feature?) identified - Premiere doesn't like empty subtitle events (subtitles with no text in them, or even subtitles with just a space in them). It will export the SRT with all the subtitles in the timeline up until the blank subtitle and call it a day.

Solution - don't include empty subtitle events if you want to export a usable SRT file.

Suggested upgrade/bug fix - the empty events were there intentionally as placeholders for temp VFX or titles that might require subtitles in our workflow, so it would be good if Premiere could still export them as timecoded events with no text in them, just as it imported them that way from the SMPTE XML files.

While I hope this helps someone, I also hope nobody else runs into this problem -- it was a headache to deal with...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines