Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Subtitle text changes are reset to original text

Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a problem with the new subtitles feature. When I do the audio transcription and generate the subtitles afterwards, I have no possibility to change parts of the text permanently. So if I change a part of a text in the subtitles menu it's shown correctly but after some time it is back to the original text. I also tried to change the text of the transcript but it doesn't seem to effect the text of the generated subtitles.

Is there a save way to change the text? I have to do the subtitles of a 40 min video, and it's the third time I have to start from scratch now.

Thank you very much!

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Ok, I just tried to do the editings directly on the screen. It seems that this does the job. So the subtitles tab in the text window seems to be the problem. Thank you again for your suggestions, I will do it directly in the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Premiere Pro up to date? I've used the new tool extensively and you can change subs two ways - either in the text window or directly on the screen by double clicking on the text. I ask about updates because the behaviour you described seems like old behaviour. Also try deleting your prefs and restarting your pc. Worse comes to worse you can export the subs as an .srt and use something like SubtitleEdit to edit the subs externally. Also make sure you uninstall any plugs that might interfere like Digital Anarchy's Transcriptive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John!

Thanks for your help. Yes, Premiere is up to date and I don't have any plugins installed. I think I will edit the srt externally.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ask John asks, what specific version of PR are you using?

There have been a few reports of changes to particular caption segments reverting to pre-edited text. I have not experienced this.

Changes to the captions should be retained. Changes to the transcript only show if you repeat the "Create Captions" step. That creates a new Caption track.

Be sure you are using the newest version of your project. The captions (and I believe transcripts) are stored in the project file.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I just tried to do the editings directly on the screen. It seems that this does the job. So the subtitles tab in the text window seems to be the problem. Thank you again for your suggestions, I will do it directly in the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was having a similar problem. Editing my transcript was editing my video although I was not (to my knowledge) in the Text based edit window.  Random words had been transcribed and cutting them removed a chunk of my picture lock edit!

My solution was to go to the 3 dot menu in the top right of the transcipt window and select generate static transcript. This fixed everything and I could continue to correct the generated transcript without effecting the edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines