The majority of my work that involves Premiere is very similar. Most of my media is from the same source, most of my projects are structured similarly, and I have used the same export preset that I made for several months now. I have done dozens of projects with the same settings and without issues. All of this has been working great until suddenly I noticed that my most recent video has that blurry/compressed look. After digging around I noticed that playback in the project also looks the same with my playback resolution set to full.
I have tried about everything I can think of to troubleshoot the issue. The original media looks fine. I have tried several different combinations of different media, new projects, different export settings, exporting in adobe encoder, and exporting straight out of Premiere. I've also tried reinstalling Premiere, reinstalling Encoder, and trying an older version of Premiere.
A few things have changed in the environment but I don't see why they would cause this issue. When Premiere's April update came out, I immediately had the legacy title issue. Being this was not yet a known issue and I could not find a work around, I installed an older version of Premiere which I think has done fine. I installed the newest version of Premiere when I noticed this issue and learned that a work around for the legacy title issue had been posted. Also, I changed my graphics card driver sometime last month. I don't believe anything else has changed besides those two things.
Currently, my best guess is that maybe it has something to do with import or project/sequence settings being that playback also looks compressed and the exported files have file sizes that line up with my export settings.
Any suggestions? I can provide additional info as requested.
You gave everything but the data we would need ... what is your file frame-size and rate, along with format/codec information?
What is your sequence settings dialog showing for the sequences you are working on, especially for frame-size and preview format?
What are the playback settings for that sequence in the program monitor ... playback setting, and is High Quality playback on?
Thanks for the quick reply. I was able to figure it out. I changed several things so I'm not exactly sure what the fix was but it was definitely an export or encoding related issue.
unfortunately, to actually describe your problem you have to know something about the variables involved with the source stuff and the project settings and lots of other technical things ( source and project). Since you're dealing with multiple source stuff it could be fairly complex to figure out how to fix it. It's normal to not know how to ask a question about something to fix when you don't know the basics of how stuff works to begin with.
If you started a new project with 4k raw in a full HD timeline and then threw in some full HD variable frame rate (vfr ) things will start to get weird.
Despite the marketing ( you can do anything with Adobe magically ) there are some basics that you need to understand from the beginning, so you can start your project for best results, proxy when you have to, convert when you have to, etc. etc.
I have a feeling you won't be able to do this right away without studying and testing and the long drawn out process of 'discovering' what works and what doesn't work with the specific editing program you are using.
It's perfectly normal for users to want a quick explanation and 'fix' to things without knowing anything about what they are doing re: the source and project settings... everyone has gone through that.
Getting an answer to your question here is doomed to go down the rabbit hole of this forum, so you best do what you can to figure out via google what you are doing and how to plan your project settings according to the sources you have.
Forgive me if by some chance I am taking this the wrong way but your reply is one of the most obnoxious, unconstructive comments I've read in a while.
People come on here for help, not to be criticized, told they don't know how to ask a question, or told they don't even know the basics of what they are talking about. Especially so when they have a few years of experience in a program.
Agreed! This 'advisor' is too full of himself to really reach out and help someone. Condescending....
Copy link to clipboard
I was able to resolve the issue. I changed several things so I'm not exactly sure what the fix was but it was definitely an export or encoding related issue.
I hope you have been helped and inspired by yourself fixing some mysterious problem without knowing what you did. It helps me learn a lot from you ! Thanks !
[message by mod: please be helpful and avoid sarcasm in the future. Check our out Community Guidelines.]