I'm getting a pickle. I'm editing a feature film from an hard drive and all been relatively good until recently, out of nowhere, I'm starting to get the "The importer reported a generic error". My files worked very well before, but now I can't import some of them.
I want to precise that nothing has been changed in the folder hierarchy, no files was displaced or else. Everything stayed the same from the start.
I did follow the steps from this page, some files seems to been able to reconnect, but not all :
If anyone has the slightest idea. That would be awesome.
Sorry about the error. What's the source of the media files? Which version of Premiere Pro are you using?
Could you copy the file to the local drive and then import it? You can only copy a single file to test
Let us know if that brings any change.
The media files is in on an external hardrive (been working on it since the start). The format is .MP4.
I'm using the latest version of PP (as I uninstall and reinstall it to help fixing the problem).
I copy one of the broken video file on my desktop, and try to reconnect the link in PP, and it actually work. The problem is that it's not a solution. I can't put all the video on my local hard drive.
this may be an indication that your external drive has some corruption or is failing... Get another drive and back up the problematic job asap...
So following your advice, I went to buy a new Hard drive and back up everything, but the problem is still here for some files. Some seems to be okay now, but not all of them are linked.
Please tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card. Could be your hard drive is failing or the file allocation table has gotten corrupted. Although I work on both macs and windows, I really don't know how to deal with this stuff on windows. On a mac, run diskutility first aid on the problematic drive. If you have DiskWarrior, run that (it's saved my life a number of times). And it's always a good idea (actually the only idea) to have a backup of your media drive (or a couple of backups) so getting a new drive and copying your media is a good troubleshooting step. Also, ALL DRIVES WILL FAIL! it's not a question of if, but when. Even SSD's have a limited number of read/writes... This is the voice of experience speaking.
My OS is windows 10, I'm using the latest PP version (version 22.5). I have 16Gb of RAM.
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3701 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Thanks for your help
Sometimes the file structure is damaged and it causes an error. In this case, my solution is to take the problematic file and encode it to the same format in the Media Encoder program. After that, replace the recoded file in your project. And everything will be fine.