• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Support for new iMac 2020 AMD Radeon 5700XT?

Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot see that Premiere Pro is supprting the new graphics cards in 2020 iMac. Please tell me this isn't true. Can somoen advise please?

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

I don't know for sure that the new iMac graphics cards work with Premiere Pro but as a user of a new Mac Pro with a AMD Radeon Pro W5500X and a new Macbook Pro with AMD Radeon Pro 5600M (HBM2) card both don't seem to have any issues running Premiere Pro (2019 & 2020). Working extensively with these machines for the last few months - and GPU (Metal) acceleration is on.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Kevin, yeah i had a 2016 macbook pro with only 16gb of ram before this and as it got older it slowed but even before i bought the mac it ran better than how it's running now which is a bummer. I will open a case with them and let you know how it goes. thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bradley. Please let us know. 

Talk to you soon,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

just got done with chat and screen share. they basically ended up telling me to make proxies and see how it works. i said i've been doing that since 1 this morning that's why i contacted you finally because it did nothing. then they reset the cache and told me to reset the system. 

point still is I shouldn't have to spend days creating proxies for files that worked perfectly the 1st month i got this, let alone create them and still have just as bad performance. thanks for your response and help Kevin but i'm not sure there's anything anyone can do until adobe fixes whatever issue this is 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys.

Brand new iMac 2020 AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB User here.

Also:
3.6 GHz 10 -core i9, 64 GB Ram, Retina 5K 27" 2020.

Premiere is performing so bad that I have to close it many times day, rendering is slower than my iMac 2017. 
What's happening @Steve Griffiths ??? Can you please fix this so that professional people like me can work in Adobe? Or else.. DV Rslv is next up....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zyrtech - I don't work for Adobe. I'm just a professional person like you - working with Adobe software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry for the experience. Performance can get affected because of the project's complexity too.

What are your  media specs and sequence settings?

Let us know. We'll look into this.

Regards,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

we're using PXWSony Fs7, 4K . XMF 

using a 3840 x 2160 timeline- 

I've formatted my iMac again now - still same issue. Do you support Radeon Pro 5700 XT ? Yes or no? 

i9 10 core CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

User exile1972 reports that this works:

create a custom ingest preset which is DNxHD/HR. It's a high quality codec that works flawlessly on mac and pc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or.. instead of DNxHD, go with Apple ProRes422 HQ if it's for broadcast/cable/independent film and ProRes422 LT if it's for social media/feature-length documentary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answers - However.. I have the most expensive iMac and this shouldn't be neceserry. We're a film company with six to ten different projects every week - and we don't have time for ingesting / proxy.. Everything worked perfectly on my old iMac, but on this new one it seem like Adobe don't support the high end graphic card on the new iMacs.. 

Why is that so.. I'm hoping for an update later on..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Adobe, I'm sorry - I meant ".MXF" not XMF. 

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same exact specs as you. have been dealing with it for a year now since i bought it. i can't believe how terribly it performs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe dont support the new iMacs. Performance is horibly slow. You can disable "hardware accelerated decoding" in premiere. But that is simply not a solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro runs fine on iMacs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately - It doesn't.
See my specs below.

Premiere is running slow - Even on the iMacs build in SSD. My iMac from 2017 is faster. 
I think this is because of their lack of support for the AMD Radeon PRO 5700 XT.

Skjermbilde 2021-10-07 kl. 14.06.38.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Warren,

Seems you don't fully understand the issue here. Yes, Premier works on the new iMacs but they do not utilize the newer and larger graphics cards in the 2019 - 2021 iMacs. Just look up the compatible graphics card list and you will see Adobe hasn't undated their list for at least 3 yrs (which is an incredibly long time in the tech world). When I talked to tech support they said they do not support any newer cards.

When I disabled the "Hardware Accelerated" it forced Premiere to actually use the card and it rendered at least 2X's as fast. 

Now that the M1 macs are out I don't belive Adobe will even bother to ever update the newer supported graphics cards on the imac... They just don't care. 

When I have the time to learn a new system I will and leave Adobe as they are more focused on making profits then happy customers as they did for so many years before they sold out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the macOS side it's about supporting Metal, not the specific graphics hardware. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines