Switched to M1 Mac - Why can't I export 5.1 audio for mpeg2-dvd or mpeg2-bluray files?

Contributor ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I've always used surcode on my PC verson of Premiere to export 5.1 audio for my DVD and Bluray files however I've recently moved to an M1 Mac Studio and surcode is not supported on the M1 system.

I am still able to export 5.1 audio as an h.264 mp4 file which I use to give clients on a USB stick however I now cannot export either of the other two formats I need to export (bluray and dvd) in anything other than stereo sound.

I saw a youtube video that specifically says that dolby digital should be available in mpeg2-dvd and mpeg2-bluray formats however it was 5 years ago and I think I'm right in saying Premiere stopped offering dolby from 2018 onwards.

Am I right in saying that surcode is the ONLY way to export these 5.1 files for disc copies now? If so, what are M1 mac users meant to do?!

I usually use encore to encode my discs however I don't have this for mac so I'm a bit stuck there too.

Assuming I somehow manage to find encore for mac, can anyone recommend how I can use the 5.1 h.264 file that premiere can export, to then author dvd and blurays without quality loss? i used to use TMPGEnc for premiere plugin to get higher quality bluray exports on PC but guess what, thats not available for mac either...

The M1 mac studio is the most powerful editing machine I've ever used, but my hands are tied in so many areas that making the switch to it full time is proving such a headache...

TOPICS
Audio , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry David. DVD and Blu-ray is not really easy to do on the Mac these days. I was not aware that the Surcode software is not working with Apple silicon. Bummer. You may want to have a PC around for some tasks. I need one, actually. Time marches on. Let me know if I can help otherwise.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Kevin, yeah I still have the PC currently but it'd be a real gripe to have to copy an entire project back to the pc just to export the disc copies in 5.1. I am not desperate to use dolby digital, AAC format is perfect for me and what I use for the mp4 files, but AAC does not seem to be selectable with the MPEG-DVD and MPEG-BLURAY presets.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's because AAC is not Blu-ray or DVD spec approved. Period.

For DVD you have the following 5.1 options:

1 - AC3 (support is mandatory, meaning all players must be capable of reading/outputting it)

2 - DTS & DTS 96/24 (support is optional, which means some players and/or amps may not be compatible even though it is a vastly superior codec)

For Blu-ray it gets more complex.

1 - LPCM - mandatory, all players must be capable of outputting this

2 - Dolby True HD (aka MLP Lossless with a hidden core stream in AC3)

Whilst Dolby True HD support is mandatory, the mandatory component is only stereo, which means it is very possible to have the 'True HD' lights on and only be hearing AC3. Be very careful with this. 

Also with 'True HD' you need 2 streams, the MLP & the AC3 and the 2 must be encoded by the same system, so only really the Dolby Media Producer software can provide Blu-ray legal coding. It is VERY expensive.

3 - DTS-HD Master Audio

Again, the mandatory support is stereo not 5.1 but with the DTS codec there has never been a decoder that cannot accept DTS-HD MA in 5.1 where it can accept stereo, so the odds are 99% favourable. The core stream is embedded in the Master Audio stream, so only one encoding is necessary.

Please get in touch of you need more - we do a LOT of Blu-ray & DVD.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The built-in Dolby Digital settings in Compressor (in the Create Blu-ray and Create DVD destinations, as well as in the built-in AC-3 and EC-3 audio settings) use the Dolby Digital transcoding format.

https://support.apple.com/guide/compressor/dolby-digital-cpsrb71736a2/mac

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to see any link between compressor and premiere though? Only final cut? Could you explain more.. I'm very new to mac!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You export mono tracks out of premiere as quicktime multichannel audio and then setup the audio channels in compressor for dolby digital encoding.

from compressor's user manual "If you want to output a 5.1 surround sound audio file, you must first create the six channels of audio required and then import those surround sound files into
Compressor. Then you can use Compressor to output the surround sound source media file. Dolby Digital audio settings: Dolby Digital (AC-3) settings include even more audio channel
layouts, including 3.0, 3.1, 4.0, 4.1, and 5.1."

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don't advise folks to use Dolby Digital for Blu-ray - it is the worst possible quality there is on that format & there is literally no good reason whatsoever to use it.

There are several options for 5.1 on Blu/DVD, and by far & away the best is to get the DTS-X encoder suite (which is Mac OS only, perversely enough) which will take the 5.1 split exports and encode to any DTS type required:

DTS-HD Master Audio (better than Dolby True HD because the hidden core audio stream is DTS Core Audio not AC3)

DTS 96/24 & DTS Core Audio for DVD

Also does DTS-X, which is a superior form of Atmos for 7.1.4 exports as it allows use of 96k sample rates, unlike Atmos which is restricted to 48k.

AC3 is a sonic nightmare and should be avoided wherever possible, and avoided at all costs on music products.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you make it sound like someone should throw their speakers out the window. most people can't even tell the difference. but, if you want, you can pay extra for DTS-X encoder suite, although its more important to get a good mix. you'd be surprised how many disney films use it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys. So with dtx encoder suite and compressor you need to export your 6 tracks as individual mono tracks first?

That isn't going to be practical for me shooting 60 weddings a year each with 4 seperate timelines to be exported for both dvd and bluray. That means 56 exports per wedding competed to the 8 im used to with PC.

There's no way to export mpeg dvd or bluray with AAC audio is there? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't see any workflow problems. Simply use the same digital intermediate master for both bluray and dvd, export from premiere with multichannel audio in quicktime and then make two presets in compressor using same master source.

compressor supports drag and drop automatic audio channel aligning, so for speed, that may be your best bet.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines