Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sync by audio point moves the wrong clip

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm currently cutting a small Video of my band, where we had multiple cameras rolling at different times.

I'm using the sync by Audio feater of premiere.

but I've experienced one Problem:

so I mark the "master"-Clip and the newly added Clip and right click -> synchronize , but premiere syncs the master Clip after the new one.

not a problem if it's the first thing i've entered, but annoying if there already a couple of clips in the sequence.

i've already tried every combination of selecting order, choosing an other Audio track etc.

I'm pretty sure it's my fault, so please can you help me!

thanks!

greetings from austria

thomas

Bug Unresolved

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
40 Comments
LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't let auto-sync issues hold you up.  Syncing manually takes less than a minute.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jep did it that way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys,

Just passing along the work around for this, which once you get the hang off seems to work fairly easily.

It appears the sync function will only move the track that is ahead in time.  In other words when two tracks are selected the track that will be moved will be the one that is ahead of the other.  This track will be pushed forward.

So in my work flow the Video/Audio track 1 is always my master track. When I bring in another track I visually line it up using the waveform making sure that the new track is slightly ahead of the master track.  Then when synced-by-audio the new track will be the one that gets pushed.

I hope that makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pay this man!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great workaround! Thanks, this flaw has been driving me nuts. Plus we should be able to lock the master track and still sync to it, **ahem** Adobe, we pay you well....please correct this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

awesome. thx for the workaround. that happened accidently a few times, but I never figured out why xD

But i now use the multi track sequences, where I don't need to "manually" automatically sync the files. if you know what i mean

but an extra option would be nice @adobe

greetz

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2018 Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant advice, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn thank you so much, got a dance show shoot that I need to sync 2 different shows but the songs were played at different times so can't the entire clip. This has saved me a lot of time syncing 3 extra cameras and about 20+ dances to the other 3 cameras manually. Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tend to answer questions from the viewpoint of "How can I get this done so I can get paid?"  Sometimes that means doing things differently until a proper solution can be found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I love you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, I was about to pull my hair out. I give you my daughter's hand in marriage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, another workflow to try is Multicam sync. Select all the clips in the bin, right-click and choose "Make Multicam..." The method is to sync by audio and then Premiere will try to sync everything up by waveform and make a multicam clip. If you want to edit the video tracks directly you can choose to open the MC clip as a sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need any organ in the future, just serve yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2019 Oct 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i actually logged into my account just so i could say thank you. Genuine life saver a year on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never log in here, and even though this post is 2 years old, thanks dude!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my god this has bothered me for literally years, never knowing which track was going to move during sync. THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bring an oscar for that man

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not gonna lie. I never signed in to actually make a comment on these forums. I had to for this! Man you cleared my biggest confusion of the day!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Future children may ask why they are all named Ithica Andy... This is why. You are a legend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

take my money

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I'm actually trying to sync new files after having already edited down the master audio track, so the entire workaround wouldn't help me here. But, that little piece of knowledge about PPro only bringing clips forward in time to sync is key. Now I'm just slamming the new track near the end, sync to the desired clip in A1.. cut.. move the remainder to the end.. rinse.. repeat. 

Obviously not best practice to sync after the edit, but I come up with use cases. Usually, it's a client wanting to add something they didn't realize existed earlier in the process. This time, I'm putting together a reel of key multicam work. I had already cut in some shots from a concert I livestreamed, using a recording I made at the time. I realized after-the-fact that it would be cool to mix in some of the shots from the perspective of the stream player w/ viewer reactions. I decided I was going to figure out once and for how sync determines the master. So thank you!

I wouldn't even call it a workaround. When you think about it, PPro can move things infinitely forward in time.. but going backwards risks hitting the beginning of the timeline. 

Do other NLEs allow audio syncing to a locked master? How is it handled? Just an automatic cut at 00:00:00 on the secondary? Or maybe a pre-roll view? People are calling it a bug and a flaw, so I guess it's not standard behavior for an NLE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the workaround. Perhaps we are all missing something here, but if not, this is a really obvious design flaw that Adobe needs to fix immediately. This is especially important for music video directors like myself. I should be able to lock an audio clip in place (like the song in a music video that I'm synching every clip to). Locking the track doesn't do the trick because you cannot synch to a locked track. As far as I can tell, synch-lock doesn't do the trick either. I'm using Premiere version 12.1.2, so feel free to correct me if it has been fixed in the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You sir are a legend, a gentleman, and a scholar.  This has been something I've tried to fix/figure out for YEARS and you have created a useable workaround.  A million thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate