• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Syncing audio after cutting video - help!

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2019 Feb 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! I've recently been editing this video for a client, which had like four lav mics, and was 45 minutes long. Ended up cutting down the clips to 15 minutes. But the big big issue is, the audio wasn't synced up correctly.

I'm using Premiere Pro CC 2019. What solution could I do? I was thinking:

• Since I got the camera file with the camera audio, I could replace that audio with the synced up audio. How would I be able to do this without rendering the file all over again, then replace footage?
  • Manually sync audio, and it will be a pain and take a lot more time.

Looking for some solutions, asap. Thanks guys.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Hi, I know it's an old question, but there is a lazy/smart solution for whoever needs it. 

Take the original video file (the one you edited), put it complete in a new timeline, with the audio you want to use. Sync it once. Delete the original audio of the video. Export that new video, with the good audio.

Go to your project bin and find the video you edited. Right click on it and make it offline. Now you replace it with your new video, the one you exported with the good audio. Just link the new me

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2019 Feb 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you may be screwed here.  Syncing all clips is definitely something one does before any cutting begins.

So ask yourself this.  Will it be easier to try and add the audio manually to every clip, or to start over and do it right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2019 Feb 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest is to get Pluraleyes.

If you cuts remained in chronological order, than it's fine. Pluraleyes will auto-sync everything, and all you have to do afterwards and ripple delete the gaps.

There is bunch of settings there, so make sure you tweak the ones that will help you the most.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2019 Jun 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question.  Of course syncing first is ideal.  But what if your sound editor comes back later with changes or you are editing on set and sound hasn't been processed yet?

I can see there being a very simple solution to this some day.  Maybe you will be able to drag an audio clip onto a video clip in the project folder, Premiere will sync it (similarly to how it currently does), and all instances in the project will update with the new audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 15, 2019 Jun 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question. If sound sync is ideal before editing ( cutting etc.) then I wonder how that might be done to begin with??

Anyone have any ideas ??

should I shoot with a big microphone mounted on top of the camera, aimed at what I am shooting ? And that sound goes directly into my camera so he video has the sound embedded in the same file ?  Is that the best way ?

Should I shoot with a camera and record sound with a different gadget that has microphones and stuff ( lav mics ? ) plugged into it...and use a slate so the camera sees when the clapper makes a loud CLAPPING noise ? And then move the sound file peak of clapper noise to match the image of the clapper hitting the slate ??

I wonder what can be done ??

If there is no slate and no microphones plugged directly into the camera, I bet there will be some magic solution to this someday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yo, 10 years as a production mixer here. this is what we do on the features.

camera needs to have a lockit timecode sync box (i use DENECKE) and preferably a small mic like a mkh50 or ill put one of my lectro smqv lavs on it (i run lectro SMQV and SRBs). and lastly you should have a timecode slate. (i use DENECKE TS-C) so the camera can capture the physical snap and have that timecode as backup. all of this will provide editing ways to sync audio, theres so many to be used as a safety net.  if all failed thats the last time youre working in town. 

I run audio in my recorder/mixer. i do a bag setup. so i use a 788T with CL8 and then run my lectro lavs in that and my boom op will have my KTEK pole with RYCOTE windshield and be running a MKH50 or a CMIT5U microphone.

so lastly to answer that last paragrapgh you wrote, there has been a solution for this problem since film cameras. its called timecode. you will attach a timecode lockit box like i said earlier to the camera and this will help sync audio. you just have to be ON IT with resync if this is your only method of sync. i would resync ever 20minutes honestly if i was forced to only run timecode on set. a fraction of a second off makes the whole thing invalid. so its required to spend way more money than you want too on a quality lockit box and slate W/ timecode.

hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2019 Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some more searching on this.  Apparently there is a $500 plug in that will sync audio automatically after the edit.  Seems like it should be built in(?)

We shot this project using timecode sync which is amazing.  I highly recommend it.  What I ended up doing was going to each clip on the timeline, revealing the clip in the project, noting the media start time, then dragging the good audio with a similar start time into the approximate location on the timeline.  Then you can highlight the original clips and the good audio, right click, sync.  It didn't end up taking much longer than it would have if we'd sync'd before the edit.  The same process should work with audio sync assuming you caught ok quality (and more importantly, properly leveled) audio in the camera with a mounted shotgun.  Make sure they click that slate nice and hard!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, dude. In this case, I don't think there is a way to do something. 
But, the idea I give to you is: 
Before cutting your project - select the video that you wanna cut - nest it - So, with that nest, u do the cuts..

When you get the audio from recorder, just open that nested comp that you made with the video -  put the audio there with a simple sync and go back to comp that you made the cuts (the final comp)... both audio and video will be synchronize. 

Sorry my bad english, I'm brazilian and I don't want using google transtale every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, this is a bananas old post and I'm sure this won't be any help to the OP, but just in case someone else comes searching...

I came here looking for a solution to a similar problem, where I received a much cleaner audio track from a two hour broadcast stream that had already been synced to 12 different camera feeds, and then sliced and diced into about two hundred pieces.  

Obviously galinm97802843's solution won't work in a situation like this.

But, I had a brainwave... if you pull just one of your video feeds (for me, the original stream, or A-Cam) into a new timeline, sync the full uncut chunk to the new audio you've received, and then render it as "Original-File-Name_ NEW AUDIO" or something, you could then just use the replace footage option on the clip you've already cut, and the new audio should just populate into the session fully in sync wherever you've cut it.

Still in the syncing process, so if anyone sees this and realizes I haven't thought of something important, I'm all ears...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Friend,

I would like to suggest one solution, there is a very cool feature in premiere to automatically syc audio with the video.

Select the video clip-> import the audio file you want to sync-> select both video & audio file-> right click-. synchronise.
Premiere will automatically sync it for you. Since now, you have made the edit, little manual job you might have to is, select every single clip and synchronise. It will take time but believe me the computer is doing the real job so have to add little pf your effort to help it.
I hope this helps..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have at least a method to help incase his happens to you, it may take some time, BUT it will be alot faster than restarting. have your master audio track in a channel ready to go. then go to the old audio and you are going to either sync from the timecode or check the metadata for this info. then go to master audio IN/OUT the timecode and sync the clip. if its a 20min video this wont be that bad. if its a 90 min feature, well thats gonna suck but like i said it will absolutely be faster than restarting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i forgot to say. after every sync. bring in a fresh master track and delete the unused parts of the old one. this is to just make sure you have every frame of audio the synch wants you to have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I know it's an old question, but there is a lazy/smart solution for whoever needs it. 

Take the original video file (the one you edited), put it complete in a new timeline, with the audio you want to use. Sync it once. Delete the original audio of the video. Export that new video, with the good audio.

Go to your project bin and find the video you edited. Right click on it and make it offline. Now you replace it with your new video, the one you exported with the good audio. Just link the new media.

You''ll see that the timeline you edited the video becomes red when you make it offline and then it turns green again when you relink the video with the new file with good audio. That's it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines