Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

syncing untimed captions in premiere

New Here ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys!

we've been looking for a solution to try and move from the legacy title to the new captions method. 

we work with transcripts that has been proofed and accepted and we sync it inside premiere to save time.

we currently work with a script that duplicate a .prtl file with our lines of transcript then we manually sync it using extend cut to playhead while playing the sequence (fun and saves time!)

The new captions track looks promising and ive managed to get the untimed transcript inside at the end of the sequence but i've noticed that besides copying and pasting the captions there's no other way to move them. extend wont work. how can i sync them inside?

Do you guys have any thoughts?

Thanks

Shahar

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

> to get the untimed transcript inside at the end of the sequence 

To get them all to the beginning of the sequence, lock all your other tracks, right click in the empty area of the caption track, and "ripple Delete."

Dragging will also work, one at a time or selecting multiples. (You can drag to select.)

You can also extend by dragging the ends left or right.

The extend to selection would be very nice. I have not played with that and can't get it to work the way I think it should, even

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> to get the untimed transcript inside at the end of the sequence 

To get them all to the beginning of the sequence, lock all your other tracks, right click in the empty area of the caption track, and "ripple Delete."

Dragging will also work, one at a time or selecting multiples. (You can drag to select.)

You can also extend by dragging the ends left or right.

The extend to selection would be very nice. I have not played with that and can't get it to work the way I think it should, even with non-captions.

Workaround: space to stop playback, drag end of caption to playhead.

Look in the Edit -> Keyboard Shortcuts, and enter "caption" in the search field. There are many commands, some unassigned. They might be useful.

I would also consider using something like the free Subtitle Edit to time the captions. Export srt from PR (if you can't get an srt any other way), open in SE, then add your video (export a rough cut). They  have the tools to time on the fly.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Stan for taking the time to answer me and for the long and detailed answer! i really appreciate it!

I believe that the feature i need is not yet available in premiere.

i need a keyboard shourtcut to extend the caption. I can only extend with the mouse.

My only workaround now is to stop playback and use the keyboard shourtcut to select the next title and cut it to where i stopped.

I'll keep on searching.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines