• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Terrified to Upgrade (Protools and PPro Plug In Conflict)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello good people of the Adobe Support Community.

Can you ease my worry?

I am considering upgrading to the latest 22.6.2 of Premiere Pro.

I'm currently using 14.9.0 HAHA

The reason why is in this post below:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/premiere-pro-2021-is-causing-constant-fatal-...

I had a tremendous fatal crashing problem when I tried to upgrade to 2021 version of PPro. I determined after a long and painful process that it was a conflict between my Protools and Premiere (on the same computer). You see, the Premiere was trying to access my protools audio plug ins. For some reason, they simply would play nice together.  The solution was to manually move my plug ins into a 'holding' folder.

I ultimately decided just to stick with 2020 version, which proved to be stable (along side Protools on the same computer).

I want to upgrad for one reason: the captions editing (subtitle feature) is much better in current versions.

Can you ease my worry?

I really want to be working in modern versions of Adobe as the tools are getting better, but at the same time, I'm not terribly put out staying in 2020. One thing I do not want to do is this 'song and dance' of moving plug ins around to get Premiere and Protools to play nice together.

Genuine gratitude to anyone who has insight.

RYNO

TOPICS
Audio , Crash , Error or problem , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can install the 2022 versions alongside your 2020 versions without causing a conflict. You just have to make sure when upgrading via the Creative Cloud app that you uncheck the box to "uninstall previous versions." This might give you some more peace of mind. I can't speak to your audio plug-in issue, but I stay up-to-date (I even use the public betas which are on version 23 now and will likely be released officially at Adobe MAX next week) and in general, I have no issues with these versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several million daily users of Premiere Pro ... and the vast majority are working without issues. So yes, as David says, install the 2022 ALONGSIDE the earlier ones, NEVER remove an earlier version ... and test.

And ... with Adobe MAX coming next week, the first official day is Tuesday ... I'm guessing that the 'drop' of Pr2023 will be between 12:05am and 7:30am US Pacific time on Tuesday ... that would fit their practice of the last four years.

And for that ... DO NOT uninstall any previous versions! DO NOT simply open 2022 projects in 2023, but ... in the new major version, create a new project. Then use the MediaBrowser panel to navigate to the old project file, and IMPORT the assets into the NEW 2023 project file. This tends to get around most 'migrating' issues.

Neil

There are some major things, like finally getting a decent list of log-encoded formats

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You might try creating different OS user accounts for use with each app...    Probably would avoid any conflict between the apps...    And if you're on the mac, you might check out Digital Rebellion's plug-in manager

https://www.digitalrebellion.com/promaintenance/download

I think there's a free trial..  Allows you  "Easily install, remove, enable, disable and organize your effects plugins."  Very handy if you're having these sorts of conflicts. 

Don't know if there's anything comparable for Windows, but might be worth a google

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines