• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text boundry boxes different w/same font

Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2023 Apr 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached is an example. I'm trying to figure out why some text have a boundry box visible and others do not within the same file.

I tested .ttf vs open type face vs etc, etc... No difference.

So here are two text boxes using the same font but showing how one has a text boundry box and the other does not.

I haven't been able to see replicate this. Duplicating a layer from one file to another, copy pasting from Illustrator etc.. I would prefer to see the boundry box.

Ideas?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 09, 2023 Apr 09, 2023

If we click with the Type Tool, we get Point Text (no bounding).

If we click and drag with the Type Tool, we get Paragraph Text (bounding).  Paragraph Text is sometimes called Area Text or Box Text.

If Point Text needs to be Paragraph Text, select all of the text in a Point Text Object and then copy and paste it to a Paragraph Text Object.  Reverse this for going from Paragraph Text to Point Text.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, a webp didn't attach, here is the image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If we click with the Type Tool, we get Point Text (no bounding).

If we click and drag with the Type Tool, we get Paragraph Text (bounding).  Paragraph Text is sometimes called Area Text or Box Text.

If Point Text needs to be Paragraph Text, select all of the text in a Point Text Object and then copy and paste it to a Paragraph Text Object.  Reverse this for going from Paragraph Text to Point Text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome. I couldn't remember what I had done to get that to happen. Old school muscle memory I guess, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warren, that sounds very reasonable. And I agree that paragraph and point text is very different. But both types have bounding boxes.

If I select the Type tool and just type, I get a red bounding box that enlarges as I type. When I then click the Selection tool, the box turns blue. If I deselect that text object in the timeline, the box disappears.

If I select the Type tool and drag a box, I get a red bounding box (with an insertion point) and it does not enlarge as I type. When I then click the Selection tool, the box turns blue. If I deselect that text object in the timeline, the box disappears.

I can get the bounding box to reappear if I click on the text in the Program Monitor, or on the layer in the Essential Graphics Panel. The box does not appear if I select the item in the timeline, unless I also click the layer in the EGP. (I'm ignoring doing similar things in the Effects Panel.)

If I have one graphics instance (in the timeline and Essential Graphics Panel), and I have two layers, one point text and one paragraph text, I can make each bounding box visible by clicking on that layer in the EGP, or make both boxes show by Ctrl+ or Shft+ clicking.

Bonus question: is there any way to tell whether a layer in the EGP is point or paragraph text? I can only tell by the text behavior: adding text in a paragraph box does not change the box and wraps the text; adding text in a point text box enlarges the box and does NOT wrap the text.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have updated my post to read "bounding" and "no bounding" to minimize any confusion between the box that defines the layer handles when a text object is selected (Point Texr and Paragraph Text) and the box that defines if and where text returns to another line while actively being edited (Paragraph Text).

The former represents the bounds while the latter represents bounding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines