Thumbnails and waveforms constantly flashing - almost unable to operate

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe-Team:

What is this??

https://vimeo.com/246243945

Using Premiere Pro 2018 and our Thumbnails and Waveforms are constantly flickering/flashing.

Handling Premiere during this behavior is almost impossible, UI becomes quite unresponsive.

This behaviour starts and stops spontaneously.

Sometimes zooming wildly in and out helps, sometimes we have to restart the machine etc.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it was getting worse, so I rolled back to PP 22 and the problem is gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this still been working for you? I had this issue with 22.40 earlier yesterday and today. Rolled back to 22.0 and the problem went away for about 4-5 hours, but seems to be back now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry to hear it, i feel your pain!  so far the rollback to 22.0 has worked for me.  touch wood!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it! Hopefully Adobe is taking this seriously as it does seem to be a common problem, especially with 22.40. I'm noticing it mostly with sequences that have many multicam clips that have been open for a long time. Not sure if that's a cause or incidental to the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I'm just wondering if the timeline 'blinking' which you said was fixed by rolling back to v22 is still the case...?

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can remember with that issue and the project I had it on, rolling back to v22.0 did in fact help. I think I ended up having to ditch the multicam sequences I was using that seemed to encourage it as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem in the latest version Premiere 22.4.
Working on an M1 imac.
Waiting for an update that fixes this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you try my silly little hack? Just ALT-TAB into another package, then back into Premiere.  Seems to do the trick for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works for me at least for a while. It's a quick enough work around, but hopefully it gets fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there - has there been any fix for this behavior in more recent updates? I'm on macOS Catalina and wondering if this could be the problem - thanks Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

June 2022, PP 22.4.0 and this has become a many-times-daily occurrence.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try it. It temporarily solved for like 30m, but they disappeared on
me starting.

Side note: rendering the audio brings them back, but they end up
disappearing again after few edits are made. Also anytime I restart
premiere, I have to render audio again. Even if I render before I restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried cleaner tool, different premiere versions, working off desktop, intel version, resetting preferences, moving media cache to different drive abcs I've even tried pasting synced audio in my main sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it was getting worse and worse, so i rolled back to ppv22.0 and now all is fine again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed, I didn't try 22.0 until recently and 22.0 fixed it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

this has been happening with us for years and I have tried everything EVERYTHING !! 

the ONLY thing that has fixed this is to remove the blackmagic studio 4K card (or select Didplay Audio or any other audio out in PP prefs) - I have very fast raids, media cache is also on a fast ssd - currently running PP22.4 and absolutely no blinking or flashing timelines... seems to me that the BMD decklink (and I have tried many versions of desktop video) isn't compatible with PP... 

I HAVE GIVEN UP ON BMD  & PP as a system but curiously NO issues with Resolve studio which has me thinking all sorts of thoughts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surely adobe must have an answer for this - just noticed that this isn't confined to any particular system setup ... it seems to be happening across multiple platforms and hardware configs... is it in the project architecture being overloaded? This would seem to me to be something that is hard to diagnose unless you have a large long form project - fact that a newish m1 iMac is also having this issue says that it is very serious 

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Late 2023 - I am currently working in Premiere and it starts flickering and flashing all over again. Latest version installed on a Mac. Openening a finder window and goin back to Premiere makes the flickering stop. At least for a few minutes. Then it starts again by not showing the audio at all and then back to the flickering.
I'm really disappointed Adobe doesn't fix such annoying behaviour in years!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines