Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Thumbnails for large image files not displaying in project bins if GPU enabled

Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro v23.1.0 on Win 10 21H2

The images are large (4k x 4k ish), non transparent PNG files. Importing them into the project (via File Explorer, or the Media Browser) results in blank thumnail images, unless I set the Mercury Playback Engine to software only mode. Which is a non-starter; obviously I want to use GPU acceleration.

I have the current nVidia drivers installed (528.02) for my GeForce 1060.

This is not an issue in v22.6.3. I can load the same exact images there, on the same machine, with GPU acceleration enabled, and the thumbnails display perfectly fine.

Also, smaller images (1920x1080) work correctly in v23.

FWIW, it seems to be related to file size rather than image dimensions, possibly. I took one of the PNGs (3668x3668 18MB) and converted it to JPG in Photoshop (3668x3668 7MB). v23 correctly generated the thumbnail for the JPG.

I have a simple high res PNG (3840x3024 213KB) - that also produces a correct thumbnail in v23.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Hardware or GPU , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to Premiere Pro 23.2.0.

Still broken.

A pity; I'd like to use the current version at some point, but as I regularly assemble videos from large stills (think Ken Burns), not being able to see thumbnails of same is a debilitating bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update your NVIDIA driver to the 528.49 Studio Driver:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/drivers/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good guess - I hadn't noticed the existence of 'Studio' drivers.

But no. Installed 528.49, did a clean install just in case any of my settings were 'wrong' - exact same behavior. Large PNG files don't render thumbnails. Large JPGs and PSDs do. The aforementioned PNGs are generated by the current Photoshop, fwiw.

Premiere v22 (22.6.4) has zero problems in this regard. Thumbnails for all file types are rendered quickly and correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an example of one of the PNGs that does not thumbnail-ify in v23. At least on my system. Curious if it's a general issue or a 'me' issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I always resave png as psd in Photoshop before importing into Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines