• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Timeline for Sony FX9 Stabilisation integration with Premiere?

Participant ,
Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a question for the Adobe techs; I'm wondering if the rumoured intergration of Sony's FX9 stabilisation technology with Premiere will happen soon?   At the moment the metadata has to be read in Catalyst Browse, but this is a messy work-around when trying to cut a complete project within Premiere.  Sony has stated that they are working with major NLE companies to have this amazing feature integrated as a plugin, but I have heard anythting more from the NLE manufacturers.  Is this something on the near horizon for Adobe?

Here is a sample of what can be done using just the meta data generated by FX9’s built-in gyro.

https://www.facebook.com/mantas.jockus/videos/10212233857081992/

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Though we work closely with Sony, Adobe has publicly announced no plans for such integration. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, this is primarily a user to user forum with oversight by the product support staff as Adobe views things. So not a place the development hangs to talk.

Second, Adobe corporate legal policy is to never disclose features until the release is either dropped or will be within a few days.

So we will know if they're doing something when it appears ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Though we work closely with Sony, Adobe has publicly announced no plans for such integration. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a long time Premiere user that is very upsetting. If another major editing software supports this it will all but force FX9 users out of premiere. Having just received my FX9 it is extremely shaky (especially with long lenses) without using the software. The software smooths it out well but it creates a workflow nightmare for docu-style and b-roll shoots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know companies can't disclose product development but this sounds very final.  Sony have made public statements at product presentations both online and at launch events that they are working with major NLE manufacturers to integrate the new gyro stabilisation feature.  But not Adobe it seems.  It is upsetting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, since Premiere Pro still lacks such basic video editing features as color correction using color targets (not that users haven't been asking for these features for years), it's quite difficult cu call it a "major NLE" these days; so that could explain why Sony is not working on this with Adobe. Now that there are plenty of Sony cameras with gyro stabilization, from "pro" FX9 to the pocket ZV-1, I guess that the first major NLE to have the support for this will swoop many users of these cameras up. Can't wait for it, I'm sick and tired of having to use Catalyst just for stabilization.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By user utilization, it's quite easy to call Pr a "major NLE" these days. Such as the data from Sundance, which for the last couple years has shown Pr having an absolute majority (over 50%) of the films shown there cut in Pr. Then of course there's how many people use Pr for pro work daily ... which is a truly massive number.

All of the complex post-production apps have strengths and weaknesses. And work differently on different gear with different media, effects, and workflow. They're nothing but fancy hammers. Use the hammer that works and fits best for your needs.

The auto-transcription feature added recently to Pr is wondrous ... I'm using that all the time. Perfect for all needs? Oh, Hades no! But vastly better than any other NLE has at this time.

I need to work both in the Adobe suite, and with Resolve. I vastly prefer the Adobe UIs, and the ability for making custom workspaces. And the way I can map my Tangent Elements panel to not only color but audio mastering, graphics movement/sizing/rotation, all sorts of things.

Resolve does not allow custom workspaces nor any user mapping of any control gear. My Elements panel in Resolve is very frustrating, because it's half 'black' at any one time, more controls unassigned than used. But of course, BlackMagic's business model is to provide relatively cheap software to get you to buy their hardware. I don't want to buy their hardware because it only works with their software.

Resolve started as a colorist app that's been adding many other capabilities in editing, sound, graphics and vfx. It's still way heavy on the color capabilities versus the others. And the more they've modded the app to make it a 'complete suite in one!' the more issues the users have on updates.

The newest 17.4 version being a perfect example. Though a 'minor' number upgrade, it was clearly a major release in changes under the hood. And broke usability for a goodly group of users. Very much in the pattern of Adobe releases: most users were working fine, some users had one or more annoying issues they could work around, and ... some users were totally bonked.

Gee, go figure. Being a one-app-fits-all means simply having more places to fail at least some subset of users. And yes, again, I do work in Resolve and also work daily and communicate with a ton of colorists. Mostly Resolve based, and yes, I know their long list of complaints about that app. But also, why they have to use it because the only other things with as good or greater color capabilities cost a LOT more.

I'm also on the LIft/Gamma/Gain and BlackMagic forums daily. I need to keep up because I'm a user of their stuff. Totally love my BMPCC4K camera, for instance. Add that and a couple Atem Mini Pros, a few other things, I've got I don't know how many full Resolve licenses now. Several just sitting in a drawer somewhere.

As to the color software that costs a lot more, there's the Baselight turn-key system, for instance. You buy a full Linux computer built by them for their app, then pay a LARGE yearly fee for using it. Incredible capabilities, amazing stability ... and that is the ONLY thing you will do on a very expensive computer setup. I love the look and 'feel' of Baselight, but as an incredibly expensive color-only app, it's never going to be in my facility. Ah well.

Such is Life. Choices, and never perfect ones. You just have to sort out what's usable and get on with things.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of writing a novel in defense of Premiere Pro (a "TL;DR" would be useful, btw), why not share on-topic news, if there are any?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I responded to your comment directly. As another user.

And I'm the guy what is always noting these are all merely fancy hammers, use whichever one works for you. And lose the emotional reactions after getting over the initial pain  when any of them thumps you royally.

I haven't checked, but does Resolve or Avid apply the Sony gyro 'natively', without a plugin?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines