• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Timeline is lagging working with captions

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work in a projects with a lot of captions. I have timelines with 30 to 70 minutes with captions.

Zoomed out to the whole timeline and visible captions my timeline starts to lag BIG time. The timeline zoomed in works just fine. Hiding the captions is also ok. 

Imac Pro 2017

32 GHz 8-core Xeon W

64 GB 2666 DDR4

Radeon Pro Vegas 64X 16GB

extra monitor Apple 2,5K

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed this as well and filed a bug while the feature was still in the public beta. Performance has definitely improved since then, but it definitely declines on super long timelines or even when you have multiple sequences open. I've also found that the solution is either zooming in or toggling the Caption track's visibilty off. You can file a bug report at UserVoice here: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for both of you commenting on zooming in to a smaller section of the timeline or disabling the caption track to demonstrate the issue. I don't recall that in other posts about performance lagging with the new caption workflow.

I do not see a bug report in uservoice on this, but they are hard to find. If either of you file a bug report, please post a link here so we can upvote.

Stan  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Upvoted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BonteKoe Media,

We're sorry about the poor experience. We can get this checked. Please let us know if this is a UI lag that you are observing or is it a lag with the playback of the timeline? Also, is this happening with any specific caption type, or is it with all of them?

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This playback performance with the captions visible and the timeline zoomed out is still present.

The workaround in Mac is to create a new profile and work fom there. However, ones you have an update, you have to create a new profile on your Mac because of lag with captions visible. Again and again. 

I have been told by a Mac expert that its a matter of rights. Its an Adobe problem in my view. A Creative Cloud problem.

greetz

Paul T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been keeping a close eye on this issue due to the amount time lost by the lag spikes

The lag spikes can be/are trigged by:
- clicks in the caption track timeline
- any text change or caption merging in text panel captions tab and or program window
- rolling the caption clips to adjust timing in the caption track in the timeline

The lag is present when both, the timeline has either multiple clips/edits that have been transcribed, or when an entire sequence is nested in the timeline and then transcribed.

with the time lost from editing, i've been able to google and read up on any work arounds to help with any kind performance improvement durring the caption editing phase of my workflow.

Workarounds I've found and done to help improve performance marginally are:
- zoom into timeline, showing only 2-5 caption clips at a time

- disable video track with video on it

- disabled "Show duplicate frame markers", as advised by is mac based user, who claims fixed his lag issues.
- disable caption track in timeline and making text changes through text panel caption tab

- lower playback quality to 1/4

- resetting my preferneces to default

but still, I am working through 20 minute edit, with about +700 caption clips with the lag spikes, because this is still faster then manually listing and typing out each caption as a text layer. Roughly takes almost 2-3hrs just to get through the caption editing with the lag.

PC specs: 
Windows 10, i9-9900k 8 core 3.6ghz base clock, 64gb ram, RTX 2080ti, 1440p x3 monitors, nvme main drive, nvme cache drive, and raid 0 working data drive (+ cloud back up)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is still happening - and there appears to be a significant lag from editing a caption to when it is updated in the timeline clip and program monitor.  Turning off the subtitle track and video tracks so that it does not have to be rendered improves responsiveness - but then you can't see the layout of the subtitle over the image so it is not a good solution.  In general, the laggyness appears to be due to programming issues as opposed to the complexity of the render.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED: Turn off "duplicate frame makers" in the setting of your sequence widow. It worked like a charm for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved it for me, I had three language tracks on a 30 minute video and it was running terrible.  The timeline interface was running so slow.  Premiere Pro 22.6.1 (build 1)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a beginner and can't find the ''dublicate frame makers'', is it possible to send a pic were its located? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did find it eventually, but no difference in lag.

Can it have something to do with its generating the caption the smae time a type in text?

How do I turn it off so it only shows the caption after im done typing?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric,

What version of PR are you running?

Is the lag constant and always?

andrewn has a good list of workarounds listed above:

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Im using 23.1.0.

The lag happens when im typing the captions, I have to type really slow or premiere pro misses the letters im typing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try each of Andrewn's workarounds above. Do any help?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines