• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Timeline jumps back to playhead anytime I click while playback / I press play or stop

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PP2022

I am not sure if this has always been like that, or if it's a new thing but it's driving me nuts.

For example:

I watch my edit in the timeline and then in some part I zoom in to inspect some detail while it keeps playing. If I now hit pause the timeline automatically jumps to where the playhead has moved to while I was inspecting and away from the section I was looking at.  I would like the timeline to stay on the section I was looking at.

If I click in the timeline in order to relocate the playhead while it's playing, it will always jump to the current playhead's position and not where I clicked.

In order to achieve this I always have to zoom out, so that the playhead is visible, then stop, move the playhead to where I want to be and zoom out. 

This has cost me so much time and I am about to lose my mind about it. I really can't remember ever having this problem in 15 years of editing. 

I hope I am making myself understand. I have been searching extensively on the internet but I don't even know how to name this problem. 

For a moment I thought that "selection follows playhead" was the solution but it really wasn't. I am also under the impression, that sometime for some reason it will work just as I want and remember it, but then it will go back. Maybe I am hitting some secret key without knowing it.

Your help is highly appreciate. If you don't understand please ask,

Thanks

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 128 Replies 128
128 Comments
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is driving me insane as well!! Adobe please fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you stop the play head when it gets near (before or after) the section you want to inspect and then zoom in?

I don't see the usefulness of letting playback continue when you want to work on a particular section of the timeline.

Now, I may be missing out on a good editing technique and if I am please go into more detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I don't understand your question very well and also don't appreciate the underlying sarcasm of your comments. 

Just one example:

I am working on a timeline and so now I want to watch it. I press play and in minute 8:41 I just want to prolong a transition so I zoom in and do it while the playhead keeps advancing. It takes me two seconds to do it but  then I notice something that I have to fix right next to the transition and now I want to stop the playhead but it has gone on and I am really zoomed in...so it jumps and I have to zoom out, search for the sequence I was looking at

Most of all I am a documentary editor so I am constatnly searching for footage that I have stowed away somewhere in my timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to understand your problem. One question I have is in your Preference > Timeline..., what is your "Timeline Playback Auto-Scrolling:" set to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is in german but I think the translation would be "no scroll"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I believe I understand what you are trying to do. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a different way to change the behavior to do what you want are wanting. You could add a feature request to the Premiere Pro user voice site where the developers monitor suggestions https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Other ideas might be getting familiar with quick shortcuts to help you navigate the timeline faster. Some are in the default set of shortcuts and others you can customize. Here are some of my favorites you can find within the Keyboard Shortcuts settings.

- Move Playhead to Cursor

- Go to Previous Edit Point

- Go to Next Edit Point

- Zoom to Frame

- Zoom to Sequence

Just a few ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your answer Gerikp.

I mean I have been dancing around this. I think what made this a problem recentely and why I really havent stumbled upon this is that for the first time I am editing a 13 episode documentary series where I jump between material, sequences and even episodes looking for curtain footage.

I know all the short cuts you mentioned exept of "move playhead to cursor". That one really might solve my problem. I'll give it a try. Also I will put in the suggestion for Adobe. 

Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whew, big job. Wish I knew a way to make it easier on you. But, that's why you're getting paid the big bucks... am I right? 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, right...big bucks hehehe...

You acctually did help a lot. That shortcut is working fine for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MOVE BACK TO 2021 VERSION (in using 15.4.2)

Also driving me crazy, ive spent hours looking for a fix, ive had to move back to 2021 version again which is such a shame

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? Is this acctually a new feature and I am not crazy? In 2021 it doesn't happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's strange. Your post had me doubting so I opened up 15.4.2 and did a test and when I stop the play head the timeline reorientates itself to the CTI. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first verion 2022 also works fine, just not the 2 newer updates

see: "how to install provious versions" if you havent before (very easy)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed 15.4.1 and I can click in the timeline and it will stick to where I am zoomed in. If I press stop/play it will jump to wherever the CTI is. I guess that is how I remember it to be. So strange that they would change that.

But Gerikp's work-around-shortcut is working great for me (Move Playhead to Cursor)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THX everybody

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Move playhead to cursor". I had to come back and share how it did not only solve my problem but really added a powerfull new tool to my box. Let's say I am searching for a clip or sequenz in my timeline and I just want to have a quick overall scroll through  the edit while watching it in my programm monitor,  Now I can hold the shortcut down and wherever in the timeline I move my mouse,  it will drag the playhead along. I never acctually have to go up with my mouse and grab the blue playhead thing to do this anymore. This saves me a lot of time.

So thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*or just click anywhere in my timeline with this shortcut to quickly jump around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIIIISSS!!! I'm so glad someone finally explained it in a way that makes sense. Since moving up to the 2022 version, this has been killing me! I make a lot of cuts and edits in the line of work that I do and this is not just a pet peave issues, it's costing me time, and that's somethign we know editors have not interest in wasting. Esecially when getting the pacing down to a frame. Please please please fix this. 

This is not fixed with the "No Scroll" selection in timeline preferences for auto scroll, that's not what is being discussed here. We're talking about clicking on the timeline to pause the playback while the playhead has passed what is visibile in the timeline. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, for me too! It's brilliant! I found this thread whilst searching an answer to the problem you also experienced during playback/pause and the timeline snapping back to the playhead when stopped when working on a different section of the timeline. And now have this great shortcut! So good!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirm that in older versions it worked like you would like. It's driving crazy me too. When I do jump cuts on my videos I need to do it while the video plays and then rewatch the cut. Super annoying. Also doesn't work if I click on the timeline to place the playhead on a frame as the video is playing. It jumps to where the playhead was playing in that moment.
Will definitely consider going back to the older version!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's been a few Adobe updates, does anyone know if there is still the problem with the newer versions, please update if anything changes. All please share/complain to Adobe, they are great with feedback but we need to all give it to them to make a change

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm updated and it's still an issue. Additionally experiencing major issues rendering exports. Not happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, still the same issue.

Older versions never did this for me.

I am like the OP here, working on viewing something very zoomed in and when the playhead moves off the current working area and you hit STOP, the whole work area shifts to where the playhead is currently.

Even if you click in on the time marker section above the tracks to make the playhead come back to where you are viewing something and want to make a change... Well no luck, the work area jumps forward to where the playhead stops.

Very unproductive, frustrating and not keen on setting up tons of shortcuts for something that worked well in previous versions.

I dont get the point then of "NO SCROLL" option in timeline preferences, I might as well have the work area scroll along with the playhead if its only ever going to jump to where the playhead is... This nullifys the NO SCROLL option provided in the first place.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These truly need to fix this. It completely ruins my workflow.

This is why I'm sticking to Premiere CC 2021. The very first 2022 still works this way but the recent updates destroyed it.

I'll test out the Move Playhead to Cursor workaround but this isn't something that Adobe should ignore.

Hopefully they patch this in the next version!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you confirm what version/build you're on? I'm going to roll back to that as soon as my current deadlines are complete. It's such a small glitch that get brutal just a few minutes into editing. As a full time editor, it's more than just frustrating, it's workflow altering.

Votes

Translate

Translate