• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Timeline will not play smoothly

Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 2017 imac. 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

but soon as i add a few video tracks or add a couple of effects , the only way i can watch the timeline playback is to do a render.

This slows done my editing incredibly as I have to render evey time I want to watch, even one minor adjustment.

Is my system too slow or am I missing something?

TOPICS
Editing , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need more details. What kind of footage? Codec? Frame rate? Resolution? Bitrate? CFR or VFR? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Type: MPEG Movie File Size: 816.85 MB Image Size: 3840 x 2160 Frame Rate: 24.00 Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 16-bit - Mono Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono Total Duration: 00:01:29:19 Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0 Alpha: None Video Codec Type: AVCHD H.264 4:2:0 Variable Frame Rate Detected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Variable Frame Rate Detected

There's your problem. Run this through Handbrake to a non VFR format, reimport/replace your footage in Premere. Should have better performance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks- I had no idea of this. will give it a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff

but it seems to me that this will degrade the quailty of the footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Transcodes always technically degrade the footage, but with the correct bitrate/export settings, you can make it so the degradation isn't visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I convertered the files and I still have the same issue.

convertered to:

Type: MPEG Movie File Size: 47.75 MB Image Size: 1080 x 1920 Frame Rate: 25.00 Source Audio Format: 44100 Hz - Compressed - Stereo Project Audio Format: 44100 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo Total Duration: 00:01:10:10 Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0 Alpha: None Video Codec Type: AVCHD H.264 4:2:0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You went from

Size: 3840 x 2160 Frame Rate: 24.00

To 

Size: 1080 x 1920 Frame Rate: 25.0

Why? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cause I'm guessing what to do.

My sequence is 25 as I have various video files,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it happpens ever time I edit no matter what the footage is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For best results, kym, create proxies using one of the Cineform or QuickTime ProRes LT options.

I like to avoid proxies and merely transcode all VFR footage to ProRes LT directly in the free app, Shutter Encoder. Like Handbrake, but with pro options for transcoding. It's like chopping up the veg before you start cooking. These files have a large file size, but no matter, you can delete these after your project is uploaded or handed off. The H.264 files serve as your backup media.

Try this advice with a test project to get the hang of it. I bet you'll be glad you did.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines