• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Total Beginner: Help Creating project and Importing File

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I apologize for being a total beginner, but I cannot figure out how to create a project and import a file. I tried clicking the create-project button and it brought me to some sort of file explorer. Then it all of a sudden started downloading things automatically - long story short while trying to use the project setup file-explorer thingy I unknowningly started downloading my entire C:drive into my OneDrive when I did not want to download anything anywhere. XD woah nelly that was a crazy suprise! I eventually hit the block button, found where it downloaded the stuff to in my OneDrive and was able to undo it (at least I think). Couple of questions, all pertaining to this initial screen that says "No project open" at the top center and has the import settings off to the right and the file explorer like thing in the middle.

1. On the left hand sidebar under "Local",  how do I change the location that "Home" points to? For whatever reason mine is pointing to a folder in my OneDrive buried deep down in a long-term archive that I never want to use for anything. I'd like the "Home" to be a different folder (probably my CreativeCloudFiles folder)

2. After I've given a project name and location, I have the "Select media to create new project" blue prompt at the bottom of the page. The file I want to import is not in any of the folders currently displayed, and I cannot figure out how to navigate down into nested folders using the interface. There's just a checkbox next to them, but I don't want anything to do with any of the folders I can currently see. I just need one single file in one exact folder I know the location of that I want to import so I can trim it up. I cannot figure out how to go into and out of folders or search for something that isn't directly displayed in the explorer. I guess I could try to use Windows's file explorer and try to open with Premiere but I assume there must be a way to navigate using the provided explorer, I just can't figure it out.

3. On the right hand sidebar, what is a bin? Sequence? And what is copy media for? I can't work out what anything on that right sidebar is for or supposed to do

Thanks so much for your help!

Picture of the screen I'm stuck at attatched.

justxan_0-1650934699075.png

TOPICS
How to , Import , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, justxan,

Sorry for the pain you experienced. I hope I can help.

• I cannot figure out how to create a project and import a file.
  • I tried clicking the create-project button and it brought me to some sort of file explorer.

I am glad you found the Import mode. I can affirm your observation. It does look like a file browser with navigation to your computer's folders and drives in the left column. Here's the step order in getting started.

1. After seeing the Import mode screen, the first step is to name your project.
  2. Enter the project name in the upper-left corner of the screen.
  3. Select a drive or folder of media in the left column.
  4. Clips from that drive or folder will appear in the Import mode.
  5. Select each clip you wish to import in the order you want to see the clips in a Timeline. Clips populate the "tray" at the bottom of the screen.
  6. Click the "Create" button.
  7. Import mode closes, and Edit mode opens with your new Timeline.
  8. Edit as you usually would.

• Then it all of a sudden started downloading things automatically - long story short while trying to use the project setup file-explorer thingy I unknowningly started downloading my entire C:drive into my OneDrive when I did not want to download anything anywhere.
  • I eventually hit the block button, found where it downloaded the stuff to in my OneDrive and was able to undo it (at least I think).
  • Couple of questions, all pertaining to this initial screen that says "No project open" at the top center and has the import settings off to the right and the file explorer like thing in the middle.

It sounds like you may have chosen the OneDrive folder in Step 3. I would avoid using OneDrive, iCloud, DropBox, etc., to store media. Therefore, you should avoid it in the importing process altogether. I am sorry for this weird experience. I haven't seen anyone else having this problem yet, but I can see how that might happen.

1. On the left hand sidebar under "Local",  how do I change the location that "Home" points to? For whatever reason mine is pointing to a folder in my OneDrive buried deep down in a long-term archive that I never want to use for anything. I'd like the "Home" to be a different folder (probably my CreativeCloudFiles folder)

Home does not "point' to any specific drive; it is only a record of your past projects and where they are located. Your projects were either created or moved to this OneDrive folder. In the future, you may want to save projects to your C drive in your Documents > Adobe > Premiere Pro folder. That's what I do.

If you want to clear out this list at "Home," you can reset the preferences. Press Alt/Option as you restart your application. You'll then be able to reset the preferences from the dialog box that launches. You may want to sync settings first if you have already customized some settings: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/sync-settings.html

If you have not made any custom changes, you don't have to sync settings.

2. After I've given a project name and location, I have the "Select media to create new project" blue prompt at the bottom of the page. The file I want to import is not in any of the folders currently displayed, and I cannot figure out how to navigate down into nested folders using the interface. 

I see. Here is how you can find your media.

Click on the root folder for the media you need in the left column, such as "Movies." In the center of the panel, you'll see the sub-folders for the drive or folder. Double click on the folder to open it, and the clips you need appear. You can "Favorite" this folder for future use in the upper part of the interface. Click the "Star" button to do so.

3. On the right hand sidebar, what is a bin? Sequence? And what is copy media for? I can't work out what anything on that right sidebar is for or supposed to do

A bin can be thought of as a folder for organizing footage after you import it. Editors call these folders "bins."

A sequence is a timeline of clips that form the core of your scene or show. 

Copy is for copying media from your camera or SD card to your computer's media drive or folder. Please do not edit the footage until it copies from the card to the computer. 

None of these things are essential to getting started with a project. You don't even have to select any clips at this stage if you do not want to. They are there for your convenience in starting a project. These are usually functions you usually do before, during, and after importing footage.

By the way, "bin" is a term that comes from the film editing days. Editors used to keep clips of a film in these "laundry cart" looking things called bins. Strips of film hung from a bar over each bin. In the "virtual" form of a film bin, you can begin organizing footage at the import stage with this option. 🙂

I hope that the advice helps you get going again. Please return with your questions.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines