• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transcript render captions with combined and split sentences.

Participant ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edited inside the transcript panel and then pressed CC to caption but it does not render the way I edited.

Here's an example of what it looks like in both Transcipt and Captions windows:

Transcript:

00;00;00;16 - 00;00;12;29     

Yeah

00;00;13;02 - 00;00;15;14

Hi, how are you?

Then in Captions it shows:

00;00;00;16             Yeah Hi, how are you?

00;00;15;04

How can I fix this? Thanks!

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with splits in the Transcript is that you have no control over the timecodes. And the Transcript is looking to the Create Captions dialogue for instruction on how to split the transcript into captions.

I don't think others who have tried this found a way, but perhaps someone will jump in.

I would edit the Transcript only for content (spellings etc). Then create captions, and experiment with the settings in that dialogue. Then do the split/merge operations on the captions.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stan!

Are you saying to (1) edit within Transcript and (2) then create captions and (3) experiment within settings of Captions and not the Transcipt panel? If so, I'm not sure if I'm seeing options for settings in the Captions panel. I've only seen and used them within the Transcript panel and the most I've been able to edit within Captions are the sentences but not the merge/split operations like in Transcript. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, edit in the transcript for spellings, etc. But not for merge/split.

When you use the Create Captions dialogue look at the options for max characters, etc. The defaults are usually okay, but your preferences may lead you to make some changes. You may want to simply experiment with that. You can create captions multiple times from the same transcript, look at the differences, then delete the caption tracks that are not needed.

Once you have captions, you can use the split/merge commands there. There are the buttons, and also keyboard shortcuts. The main difference - and one that is very frustrating for some users - is when splitting, the split is where you have the playhead (all good), but the entire caption text is repeated in both captions.

If this does not make sense, post a screenshot.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning Stan,

Now I understand that there is a Captions panel to itself whereas there is a Create Captions button "CC" within the Transcript panel. So I've edited spellings within the Transcipt Panel. Then I created captions by pressing the CC button. I saw the options and I think I'm okay with 42 characters at max length. Though I do like to change lines to single rather than double everything else default wise seems AOK.

(1) Does spacing between words count as a character? 

So I tested this out with a small sample of 40 second audio. What's interesting to me is that within the Transcript window I only assigned the speakers and made spelling and other grammatical corrections. I did not use the merge/split operations like advised not to but saw that within one time code sentences for two speakers were bunch together and not separted. After I created captions with the "CC" button, I saw that the merge/split operations were not needed as the captions ran smooth. Thank you Stan.

(2) Since speaker names do not show when the captions roll, is the assignment of speaker names really for the AI to distinguish between rather than us the editors or audience?  

Thanks again Stan!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So far, the Speaker names are useful only for work with the transcript, which may include exporting to use for various purposes. We do not know when/whether there will be an option to include speaker names in the actual captions.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post screenshots, so we understand better what you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Joost! I see how the tempation to use merge/split operations within the Transcript Panel can happen and now I see, thanks to Stan, that these merge/split operations are best handled after basic grammatical edits within the Captions panel but I have to see how that will go as I fear duplications from splitting. Thanks for being there for me. Appeciate : ) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines