• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Turn off "Selection follows playhead" PERMANENTLY!

Participant ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one is a real pain. A lot of people like this feature when Lumetri panel is open, I don't. Is there an option to turn it off permanently? Currently, it gets checked automatically every-time I switch to the Lumetri Workspace. Seriously need a way to stop this behaviour!

Idea No status

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
55 Comments
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That behaviour changed in 2018.

If you turn it off it stays off despite being in the Lumetri panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe, a lot of users are asking to be able to put this setting off... so annoying!

Please, do something about it!

Thanks.

Bruno

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can turn it off under the Sequence menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

yes I know that. But it should be the opposite, if I need it, I'll turn it on.

For now, Adobe just oblige me to have it on because I like to see my scope when I'm working.

I know you love this feature, but it's not everybody. It's such annoying... for me.

Thank you

Bruno

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the current default behavior makes the most sense.  You don't need scopes when editing.  You do need them when doing color work, which is where Selection Follows Playhead comes in handy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim_Simon,

this is your opinion. Good for you if you like it. It's a good feature for sure. You're working your way and I'm working mine. I do need scope when I'm editing whatever you think about it.

The question wasn't :  do you think the current default behavior makes the most sense ?

I'd like that each user should be able to parameter this default feature as he wants to and we can't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well,

you seem to know what I hope, what I need and what is best for me. I appreciate, but it's not necessary.

I can do it in two clicks, that's right. But I have to do it so many times, because it's the default feature.

Maybe the solution is to have more resources. But this is another subject.

Thanks for your answers. In all respect, I do not need your opinion again on this topic. I hope we're done now.

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been amazed at how much smoke & fury this question often gets. I've been in aisle-way discussions at NAB about it even. In a group of maybe five editors, everyone has a different idea of how this "should" should be set up.

While this feature is being refined, I hope this tip helps: you can set up a single-key keyboard short to change that setting while working. Just go into the Keyboard shorts panel, type "Selection fol ..." and the keyboard option will show. Select your key, save ... and go on working.

Neil

Mod note: edited for content

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil,

maybe I should have asked if there was a way to put it off by default when using Lumetri Panels in the same time. The answer is : there's is no way. The best thing to do is to create a shortcut on your keyboard.

I wanted help but I got opinions on the way I work.

But you're right, everyone is free to comment.

Have a great day

Bruno

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you change workspace and change back to a workspace that has the lumetri panel open, it will be on again.

I have several workspaces I jump around. one or 2 of them has lumetri panel. Whenever I go those workspaces, "selection follows playhead" is on automatically and remains so until I manually turn it off

Even on CC 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE again frustrated me to the point I ended here. And again I learned it is no way around it. Thank you Phase One, I am at least saved from Lightroom. Now Premiere is next to ditch after so many years.

It's madness. I grade clip by clip with curves and lumetry concurently (becasue lumetri work OK unly if curves are properly set before. And darn thing keeps turnig ON again. I updated Premiere Yesterday. What a FOOL I am (again). It was OK in CC2017 before update. Adobe keep's driving my life as it thinks it is good for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is driving me absolutely insane.  I have to bounce in and out of many projects all day, and every time I come back in to a project or switch over to color grading it defaults back on.  I can sort of see it being helpful when being in the color panel, but even there I don't want it.  If I really want it, I can go turn it on.  I often color grade and continue making a few edits while in that workspace.  I thought I could live with it if it was only when going into Color, but no - every time I open a project that thing is defaulted back on. Why? Why won't that setting stick? Please change this Adobe.  I am on CC 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did a search on this topic today because I was hoping there was a way OUT of this madness.  Ann Benns who supposedly had "the correct answer" is dead wrong, this is still a problem.  I usually keep my Lumetri tab in the same panel as my project tab, and when the Lumetri is brought to the foreground, "Selection Follows Playhead" gets turned on.  EVERY TIME.  If I'm not color grading, I can bring the project tab back to the foreground and "Selection Follows Playhead" automatically gets turned off (which must drive people who actually LIKE "Selection Follows Playhead" just as crazy as those of us who do not).  Another frustration is that I work with a partner who doesn't know the difference and always has it turned on, and when he passes me a project file and I open it, suddenly it's turned on in all my projects.  UGH.  Soooo many times I forget that this is the case and I start moving the wrong clip or something.  SO AGGRAVATING!!!!  Side note: I wish Premiere would prioritize MY settings since I already have a project open, and when I open someone else's project, it would conform to my layout and all my settings but instead everything is kind of how that other person had it, so if they are sloppy (which he IS) and they have panels floating all over the place and "Selection Follows Playhead" turned on (and probably some other annoying things I'm not thinking of at the moment), when I open his projects that is how everything opens up.  I suppose in this case, training my partner is the "workaround" but he just ignores me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but mine stays off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2018 Jul 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there some special setting to make it stay off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn in off in the drop down menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update to the latest version. 2018.1.2, or later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that if you toggle off the track targeting from the timeline, the "selection follows playhead" gets disabled.

Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 12.51.33 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you turn off Selection Follows Playhead? I've been searching online and can't find an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's an answer previously in this thread, and it works for my PC at work. I'm still trying to find an answer for my Mac at home. It's so annoying to have that thing constantly turning itself on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Community,

This is a popular feature request. Upvote this request, please, if you have not already. Scroll up!

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Chris,

I moved this post to the "Ideas" forum. The plan is to merge the User Voice bug after the migration. I hope that's OK.

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After i found out how to disable it it's the first thing i do after a fresh premiere install.

[Moderator note: content removed due to Adobe policy.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I knew that trick too but if you ever post that in any of the Premiere forums it gets removed due to it being unofficial. It's weird because I learned that from a Premiere certified expert. But there should be a preference to permanently turn that off.

Votes

Translate

Translate