Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Type tool crashes premiere CC 23.1

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've been trying to find the root of a problem i'm having with the type tool where almost every time I use it premiere instantly crashes, doesn't even give a warning, just dies. I've seen people suggest using software acceleration but it changes how the edit renders and even gets some of the text wrong when I switch back to GPU acceleration. Trying to find and alternate solution.

It's sometimes better when I have nothing else open but I have a pretty decent PC and it should be able to run it just fine, but it still crashes and i'm just not sure what the problem is. It crashes when I go to type something and sometimes when i'm playing back the section with the text in it.

SPECS:

i9 9900k

RTX 3070ti strix

32gb ram

running off samsung ssd

Version 23.1

TOPICS
Crash , Effects and Titles , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wondering if it could be a corrupt font.  On the mac, there's something called fontbook which will check for problematic fonts...  Guessing there must be something similar for windows...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it happen on all fonts?

It may be a corrupted font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately it does, all fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be all the fonts i've tried tho, as majority are downloaded, is there a way on windows I can check if they're ok?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

found this via google.  Not sure if it's still working

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-font-problems-windows.html

Could be something builtin to windows (as it is in the macOS).  might be useful to just see if there's a control panel, or something like that available in windows.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just did a quick google for free font manager for windows and there were number of them.  I'd try and disable all but the default windows fonts (which apparently are protected) and see if that stops the problem.  If so, it'll be trial and error to discover the corrupt font...    unless you can find a font diagnosis tool...  which may exist...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and googling "how to find corrupt fonts windows 10" got a number of hits...  So you have some things to try...

Also, maybe trying reverting to an earlier version of Premiere 23...  If you need help with that post back.

And did you do any software installation recently?  Thinking a new app might have installed some wonky font...

And another thing to try is to create a new user on the windows machine with administrator privileges.  That sometimes fill fix these sort of oddities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aden and others-

You may be barking up the wrong tree!

About a year ago Adobe announced it would no longer support POSTSCRIPT TYPE 1 fonts in their apps. They will accept only OPENTYPE format fonts. Those of us with large font libraries are SOL-- Adobe does not make a type converter tool, which would be sensible!

There may be several converters out there by now, but the one I slapped down 100 bucks for was from Font Lab, makers of the original Fontographer Type Design app. which I had the pleasure to use on a few occasions. a couple decades ago. 

They also make TRANSTYPE, the T1 to OPT font convertor. I'm just starting on it.

They have good documentation and a video.

https://www.fontlab.com/font-converter/transtype/ 

Best as always,
Loren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response, Loren!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loren,

Thanks for that information.

The announcement suggests that a "missing font" warning may occur. Does it? Do we know what the implementation in Premiere Pro looks like?

Here's the Adobe page I'm looking at:

https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/kb/postscript-type-1-fonts-end-of-support.html

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have never gotten a missing font warning when using it. It usually plays out that I will begin to type something, then the app will freeze, and then shut down. However, I can sometimes get away with a few text boxes before it happens. 

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines